Asus A7n8X vm/400 Random Reboots

edited March 2005 in Hardware
Asus A7n8x - Motherboard just randomy reboots.

Ive installed only Windows XP SP1 and SP2 on different ocassions and it randomly reboots
yesterday it worked ok to 1.5 hours and then rebooted when I was installing MS Autoroute 2004 - ran the install again and it went thru ok - ruling out a faulty CD

I used both the NForce2 driver cd and the new Nforce2 Drivers of the website

This asus board must be one of Asus's worst ive come across.
The Kingston memeory 512mb module (checked ok for compatibilty on KIngstons site) only works on DDR slot 3 not DDR Slot 2 - ( I get errors when installing Xp if its in DDR2 slot) - there is no DDR1 slot on the board
So im assuming DDR memory is OK- Dont have another to test with altough it chekced ok with PC Checks Memory test option.

Asus has a A7n8x version 1003 bios on it.
has anyone used this box and fixed this problem - The CPU is Xp 3000+ - I use the onboard VGa so the memory posts as 333mhz single channel which im told is normal by Kingston
The only other thing left to try is to uninstall the Nforce IDE driver - but Im sure this will not be the root of the problem
The CPU speed hovers 54/55 celcius
Power Supply settings in Bios seem stable

Any ideas?

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    is the 3000+ a 333 barton or a 400 barton? is it one of the newer barton that dont oc worth shiz?
  • edited October 2004
    XP3000+ with 333mhz ram. and on board VGA- anyway since yesterdat ive uninstall the Nforce IDE driver and it hasnt crashed as yet.
    But I did download MEMTEST86 and basically go it to do a full test, and it found 200,000 errors on TEST 5 of the program (the test ran 4 cycles.)
    Hopefully it is the memory that is faulty and not just a incompatibilty with the RAM
  • edited October 2004
    replaced kinsgton 512mb ram with another - reinstalled XP - and the PC rebooted itself - I also get this artefacts when booting into XP and during the initial install process - MEMTEST86 didnt detect any errors
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    the new AMD xp's dont oc worth shit so if its a 333 and u wanna run it at 400 it prolly wont
  • edited October 2004
    I had that ASUS A7N8X and it did the same thing. Just rebooted and rebooted.
  • edited October 2004
    the new AMD xp's dont oc worth shit so if its a 333 and u wanna run it at 400 it prolly wont

The memory is pc2700 SPEC, and im not overclocking it - there is no way you can overclock it as far as i know.
    however the 2nd ram ive had is not showing faulty on memtest and but these artefacts keep coming up - ive got a another pc2100 module and that only has 1 error on the ram but it still causes the PC to reboot.
  • edited March 2005
    I have about 8 of these motherboards at work. I foolishly bought them because some other boards we're being flaky and these are even worse. Turn off auto precharge in the BIOS and that should prevent most of the random reboots if you're lucky. Even the new 1004.7 beta BIOS doesn't help sadly :(
  • bobbycanadabobbycanada Sea Cliff, N.Y.
    edited March 2005
    And set BIOS to optimal setting.
  • edited March 2005
    I run the same board in an Alienware rig. I am running bios revision 1008 and have not had any problems with it. I am running an AMC 2.4 gig proc, 1 gig of ram, and it hasn't given me any problems lately...

Good luck! :thumbsup: