Need help with hard lockups.

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I just reciently put together a new system.
Athon 64 3500+
Abit AV8 Motherboard
512x4 Crucial DDR400 (2GB)
2 WD Raptor 74GB drives in RAID 0
ATI AIW 9600 AGP Card
using onboard nic and audio
2003 server standard ed. (32bit)
No overclocking everything in bios set to auto

Sometimes the system will boot to right before you get the blue or grey background before you get the login prompt and just reboot again. Others the system will stay up and running for a couple of hours and all of a sudden it will hard lockup. Other I will boot up and watch a mpg or something and just lockup hard. It is always a hard lockup! I have the latest drivers for everything, using omega vid drivers, also the latest via chipset drivers, raid drivers. I have also tried to bump the memory voltage up one notch to see if that helped. I didn't see anymore reboots but I still got a hard lockup. I build pcs for a living but I don't know what I can try next.
I have also run dr. divx all night long for over 8 hours converting movies and it stays up and running. That usually uses a lot of processing power. Any ideas???

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2004
    Have you done anything to your system just before all of this started like XP SP2 or new hardware or anything? If not start by:

First memtest86 to check your ram.

Next delete and re-create your pagefile

Then repair install
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    memtest86 baby!
  • edited October 2004
    kryyst wrote:
    Have you done anything to your system just before all of this started like XP SP2 or new hardware or anything? If not start by:

First memtest86 to check your ram.

Next delete and re-create your pagefile

Then repair install

uhhh... 2003 server is my OS.

I downloaded both memtest and prime95 but haven't had time to run them.

I did run chkdsk but it was fine. If it was a hardware issue, don't you guys think that it would constantly lock up or crash. Running a processor intensive app like Dr. Divx pushes the CPU but then again isn't memory intensive. I don't use this system for games but I did load up BFV and I got a lockup once. Other times it was fine.
    It just happens whenever it feels like it.
    On another note it took like 4 times for it to boot into windows today. It kept rebooting itself before I get to the logon prompt. This is pissing me off. I am using this as a workstation with all the normal xp apps like burning software, photoshop, office 2003, etc. 2003 server handles my one-way cable modem better for downloading multiple steams from newsgroups. Maybe tonight I will run memtest all night.

oh by the way, my pagefile is one nice chunk, it isn't split anywhere. I have a 2GB page file.
  • edited October 2004
    Well I ran mem test all night and no errors.
    I set windows up to not reboot on a BSOD or whatever and when I rebooted it BSOD right before the logon prompt.
    the file that was causing it was x10uif.sys

this is a windows system file but there was another one belonging to ati multimedia center. since x10 is a usb driver I found out that it was also linked to my remote wonder (the remote control usb device). So I unplugged it and uninstalled the drivers for the remote wonder.

rebooted and no BSOD. Time will tell if this solves my issue.

Damn ATI, I wish they would make their drivers work with 2003 server. HEll every other app works with it.
  • edited October 2004
    Well that only solved my reboots before getting to the logon screen.

I had the system up and running only using media player, playing and encoded divx movie through media player 9 and it still locked up. It did this 2 times only using media player. I can't upgrade to 10 because it isn't out for server. I did install klite codec pack and uninstalled the divx that came with dr. divx and installed the klite version. maybe that will help.

I don't know what can be causing it.
    edited October 2004
    Win Xp might be a friend! I use win 2k Pro and it works fine when networking and server stuff. Maybe ur temps are to high i dunno much about server 2k3
  • edited October 2004
    Have you checked all of the voltages on all of the rails? As in when you're doing what makes it lockup, have an app running to show voltages at lockup. Maybe your PS is a POS instead!
    edited October 2004
    ur PSU could be the problem as stated above but whats the temps?
  • edited October 2004
    I have one of those thermaltake xaser III towers for like $140 with a 420 watt psu. The thing has like 7 fans in it.

The voltages are all within specs acording to NGuru in the bios. Temps for CPU are low as well.

It will lock up when running nothing but Windows media player running a divx movie. And this is like 10 minutes after a reboot. Sometimes I can have it up and running all night like converting movies to divx which normally spikes the processor at 100% for 8 hours and it won't lock up.
    Like I said before I heard there was a nasty bug with divx so I installed the klite codec package instead with its version of divx. Sometimes I have seen it lock up doing other stuff instead.
    I will do some more testing. By the way this is the case I have with the PSU.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-109&depa=0

Cpu temp in bios is 30-32 celcius
    all 3 and 5v are within specs.
    there are a lot of voltages within spec but not sure what all of them do for example HT voltage?
  • edited September 2005
    I have built 3 systems at work with almost the same setup, both have 4 x 512 crucial modules, athlon 3500+, stock amd cooler, very high quality psu (have checked voltages with meter), a cheap nvidia card (i dont use 3d), one system runs win2k3 server, one gentoo linux 64 bit, and the other windows xp 64, all 3 lockup under heavy memory i/o, ive not been able to resolve the issue at all but have found that they run fine with only 2 modules of ram installed.

did you ever solve your lockup problem?
    are you using single sided crucial ram? they make two types of module that fits that board and only one will do ddr 400 in all 4 slots...

abit have tried to help me but so far no success :(

netfr33k
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    I had this problem two days ago. Half your memory. See if you can stay up for 48 hours with all of your intergrated devices off. Such as your intergrated sound, and network. If you can do 48 hours with that, turn on each device untill it stops responding. If you can boot cleanly with half memory, and all devices in, then your PSU/board isn't getting the voltage it needs, or is putting too much in. I had to set my dimmV to 2.55, because my board thinks it's supposted to be 2.63.

Another quick check is if you have a PCI graphics card, put that in, and remove your AGP/PCIX card. And may I ask, what OS are you running 2gb in?
  • edited September 2005
    I had this problem two days ago. Half your memory. See if you can stay up for 48 hours with all of your intergrated devices off. Such as your intergrated sound, and network. If you can do 48 hours with that, turn on each device untill it stops responding. If you can boot cleanly with half memory, and all devices in, then your PSU/board isn't getting the voltage it needs, or is putting too much in. I had to set my dimmV to 2.55, because my board thinks it's supposted to be 2.63.

Another quick check is if you have a PCI graphics card, put that in, and remove your AGP/PCIX card. And may I ask, what OS are you running 2gb in?

I may try running without intergrated devices but I do need most of them.

I can always boot and logon but then locks up under heavy load / memory i/o.

I have already tried dimmV 2.55 on the advice of abit tech support.

I may try a pci graphics card if i can find one!

I have 3 systems with almost the same spec, running windows2003 server, gentoo linux 64 bit, and windows xp 64 bit, all lockup with 2gb ram in 4 x 512mb installled.

netfr33k
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    It doesn't matter if you need them dude. You need to diagnose the problem.

Also, try cutting down your ram, like was sugguested by like 2 other people.
    You also might wanna check each individual stick in a seperate machine with memtest.

EDIT:// Also, next time you get a hard lockup, check your BIOS health monitor, see how high your temps are. Here's a decent PCI Video card for testing
    ATI Rage XL 8mb