LCD Gaming Monitor.

HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I'm looking to replace my 17" CRT with a 17 or 19" LCD, and I want good gaming performance.

(BenQ FP931 Silver 19" LCD Monitor)
BenQ on Newegg

Most of the reviews talk about buying a DVI cable....but the specs here and on BenQ's page say it has Sub-D.

Does it have DVI, do I NEED DVI (I have ATI 9800 at home), do I WANT DVI??

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2004
    I don't notice any difference between DVI and VGA LCDs.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2004
    Personally I've never noticed a difference between DVI and VGA. Refresh wise I you'll get better performance out of the 17". Though whether or not you'll be able to notice the difference is debatable.
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited November 2004
    Gaming is a lot better on a crt so I dunno why you would want to get an LCD unless you need to save space. If I was you I would invest in a flat screen CRT, you would end up saving as well. That just my opinion personaly because even though LCDs are nice and flat, for games CRT are a lot better becats LCD only have a native resolution and it is noticable when you are not in that native res.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    i game alot on my NEC LCD colors are deeper ad looks better than my old hitachi 19 in CRT
  • edited November 2004
    If you lived in Canada I could've sold you an fp931 benQ..as I have the best prices right now.....but like most people said here..it is true that the DVi factor is not important..although on one site somewhere it said it had both inputs..oh well.

Anyone in canada can gimme a call at work if they need any help on purchasing computer related shtuff at: 1-866-634-7879 ext 235.(mark)

the fp931's are 499 canadian (459 with mail-in rebate) through me.

Take care and good luck in your search.

HalOfBorg wrote:
    I'm looking to replace my 17" CRT with a 17 or 19" LCD, and I want good gaming performance.

BenQ on Newegg

Most of the reviews talk about buying a DVI cable....but the specs here and on BenQ's page say it has Sub-D.

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    BENQ gear pwn!

i own 2 x p767 version 2's, they are just awesome screens, cant beat the price
  • KeelhaulKeelhaul Göttingen, Germany
    edited November 2004
    I bought this Sony 17", since it got the best review in my gaming zine, though I had to pay €550 for it. I do notice a difference in picture sharpness and quality between D-Sub and DVI though. As for the resolution problem, lower resolutions look indeed a bit more blurry than on a CRT, but depending on the game you wont notice much difference. It also depends on how the particular panel handles lower resolutions. I can play the old LucasArts classics on this one quite well.

My suggestions are:
    1) Go by gaming zine reviews when picking a TFT, the manufacturers' millisecond values are often worth shit.
    2) Never order a TFT, always buy locally, because (at least here) you HAVE to accept up to 5 dead pixels (or up to 3 in the middle) and cannot return it.
    3) 17" and 19" have the same resolution of 1280x1024, so if your purse allows it, go for the pure size of a 19".
  • edited December 2004
    HalOfBorg wrote:

BenQ on Newegg

FP937 is a better choice for gaming, 12ms to 16ms.
    Yes you want DVI.
  • edited December 2004
    You want a monitor that is perfect for gaming ??? My opinion go and buy an EIZO. I have the Eizo FlexScan T565 17" monitor and let me tell you the quality of the colors is just amazing. I used to have in the past a hansol 17", Sony Trinitron 19", Viewsonic 17" and there is no comparison with the quality of the Eizo.
  • edited August 2005
    I am an avid gamer of 9 years now. 6 years professionaly. I have competed in tournaments online and at lans... i.e. E3, and Quakecon.

There are 2 types of gamers.

Type 1: wannabe's (eye candy is important as is space and somewhat performance. [in that order] )

and

Type 2: Gamerz (Nothing is more important than performance)

Type 1: Use LCD monitors.

Type 2: Use CRT monitors.

Difference?

Type 1: Find 1 LCD monitor that can run 120hz+ at any resolution.

Type 2: CRT's run upto 240hz refresh at certain resolutions.

Why CRT vs LCD?

Type 1: Save space, excelent coloration details for less demanding applications.

Type 2: Screw space... syncin up my framerate with the refreshrate and using a high resolution mouse i.e. Razer DiamondBack (1600 DPI optical) will give the absolute best, smoothest, and most fluent game play ever experienced by any "gamer".

DVI or VGA?

Type 1: Unsure which they prefer there is no difference in performance visually the human eye can detect when comparing DVI - VGA... when applied to LCD. However VGA cables have a slower communication speed from hardware to monitor.

Type 2: DVI is far superior in that it allows the ability to attain higher refresh rates on CRT monitors, trained FPS gamerz can visually see a 5 fps difference in game performance this does not mean you gain 5 fps.. it means their visual accuity is so tuned to high speed framerate, refreshrates and raw performance the eye can physically detect a 5fps drop in performance.

LCD vs CRT

LCD: While LCD does save ALOT of space. It tends to be pricey. Also it's performance capability is severely limited due to the nature of the technology. The term LCD means Liquid Crystal Display. How it works: each lcd monitor has pixelated color gradiants throughout the entire screen. This means each pixel on the screen is actually 3 small pixels which respond to certain amounts of electricity that courses through the gradiant. This means the time it takes to process an image in liquid crystal is by far alot longer than a CRT monitor. This is where you get hesitation in fast paced games such as First person shooters. The image may appear blurry at times, or even choppy like a slide show. This does NOT mean your computer system is slow. It's just the way the technology works. Your video card/computer processes visual data at such a high rate of speed it floods the monitors ability to draw the images fast enough. This is where refreshrate speeds have a direct influence in gaming quality and fluidity. The visual aspect of LCD's is excelent with graphics for less demanding applications (near photo quality).

CRT: CRT means Cathode Ray Tube (light gun is used to produce images similarly to projection) CRT was and still is the best technology available for raw gaming performance. 21" and some 19" CRT monitors now have the ability to run 240hz refresh rates at incredible resolutions. DVI input/output cables take advantage of eliminating the communication bottleneck which a standard VGA cable is known for. FPS gamerz take advantage of their high performance computers, video cards, and monitors to tweak video performance to the absolute best possible experience one can attain with such technology.

These are facts of the industry around LCD vs CRT monitors and DVI vs VGA cables.

I personaly say stay with CRT and use DVI cables with it.

And, for those who have never ran a first person shooter such as quake3 or Return to Castle Wolfenstein at 120hz, capped 120fps, and a high performance gaming mouse like a Razer DiamondBack (1600DPI resolution optical) you simply can't understand the difference unless you try it. It will seem wierd at first but give your self a couple of days.. and I promise you, you will wonder why you ever played at 60hz refresh. Even 70-85 hz refresh does not do it justice. The human eye can see 60hz refresh anything much above that and your eye can't see the screen being drawn.

Trust me... there is a HUGE difference between 60hz and 120hz even 85hz to 120hz when you sync up your framerate with your monitors refreshrate.

The best analogy I can give you would be like.. someone going from 56k dialup internet connection to a DSL or cable modem internet connection.

It's THAT drastic.

Hope this helps you in your decission making.

-DisCrete
  • edited August 2005
    DVI is b-e-a-u-tiful compared to VGA...crisper...clearer...cleaner...ahh...wonderful DVI....but yea if you do get DVI refresh rates won't matter all that much..but i doubt that your 9800 has a DVI port on it. :firemat:
  • KeelhaulKeelhaul Göttingen, Germany
    edited August 2005
    What a bunch of garbage. Alone the way you insist on saying "gamerz" takes away a good share of your credibility.
    Luckily I'm from an older, pre-eSports generation of gamers to whome it's still just a hobby (aka "wannabes" in your book). I've played FPS games on a CRT monitor for years (I must admit only up to 100Hz refresh) and then switched over to a TFT via DVI a year ago. I havent noticed any performance drops, although this TFT screen has a 16ms refresh, which is slow by today's standards. The only disadvantage of TFTs that I know of is that most can only display a color depth of 18bit, which is not enough for graphics design etc. Monitors that can do the 24bit depth are usually too slow for gaming.
  • Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited August 2005
    DisCrete put some quite interesting info up. I've never heard of that to tell you the truth. I'd have to confirm his info about the stuff, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was true.

DisCrete put the info in a kind of arrogant way. There are only wannabies and pro gamers with no life, riiight.
  • edited August 2005
    Dell's 2405FPW for thw wiN!