Recovery Software?

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
OK, Here's my problem. I've got 2 HD's. An IBM 30G/ NTFS and Win XP pro for the main drive, and a Western Digital 15G/FAT32 that had win98 on it for back up. When I dropped the WD backup in, I didn't reformat to NTFS. Didn't think I had to do that for a backup, besides I had stuff on there I didn't want to delete. I could save and use files and such fine for 6 mnths or more. All of a sudden one day when I wanted to access the backup, It says (Drive D is not formated, do you want to format?) I can't get into the drive to save anything off of it.
Does anyone know of a free software program that I can use to recover files with?
I've run all the spyware, adaware,trend virus scan, and have had AVG on it for a long time. Nothing comes up for virus, trojans etc.
I've been trying Zero Assumption Recovery program, but it only recovers 4 files on the demo, and it's been recovering a 4MB file since 4:00 pm yesterday and it's 9:20 am now. I don't think it should take that long to recover the files, even with a 1.2 T-Bird cpu. Which I thought at first- could be why it's a little slow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2004
    First simple way is get Knoppix STD and boot up with that and see if you can read the drive.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    I'll try it and see what I can find. Thnx
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2004
    I just was thinking from the other thread if you are going to get Mephis don't bother with Knoppix they both do the same things.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Oh, Cool, That works! Two birds with one stone, so to speak. Thnx for the help kryyst.
  • edited December 2004
    Hi,
    My back up western digital hard drive turned to RAW and wanted to be formatted. It happened sometime after I installed XP SP1.
    TestDisk http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html worked to restore the drive and all the data!!!!
    I used the windows interface version and had it analyse the disk.
    After it had analysed it said partition ok.
    I then went further into the options and it spat up an error message re boot sectors that was identical to the one in the doc/examples.html file “Recovery of a damaged FAT boot sector” I followed the instructions to fix it and my back up hard drive was restored in perfect condition.

Hawk wrote:
    OK, Here's my problem. I've got 2 HD's. An IBM 30G/ NTFS and Win XP pro for the main drive, and a Western Digital 15G/FAT32 that had win98 on it for back up. When I dropped the WD backup in, I didn't reformat to NTFS. Didn't think I had to do that for a backup, besides I had stuff on there I didn't want to delete. I could save and use files and such fine for 6 mnths or more. All of a sudden one day when I wanted to access the backup, It says (Drive D is not formated, do you want to format?) I can't get into the drive to save anything off of it.
    Does anyone know of a free software program that I can use to recover files with?
    I've run all the spyware, adaware,trend virus scan, and have had AVG on it for a long time. Nothing comes up for virus, trojans etc.
    I've been trying Zero Assumption Recovery program, but it only recovers 4 files on the demo, and it's been recovering a 4MB file since 4:00 pm yesterday and it's 9:20 am now. I don't think it should take that long to recover the files, even with a 1.2 T-Bird cpu. Which I thought at first- could be why it's a little slow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Hey Thnx Vixen, I'll try it out. I was going to go the Mephis route untill I realized I don't have a CD/R setup on a running machine. I'm in the proccess of building 4 for my network. But, I want to save what I can off the drives.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Vixen, Your the cool breeze!!!! That worked! TestDisk worked so easily, it was unbelievable. very easy-user friendly, etc. Thnx a million. My wifey thnx you too. That drive had all the family tree stuff on it and all her music-- 718 songs. All our Christmas music too. Merry Christmas friend.
  • edited October 2005
    Here is a tool called DataRecoveryWizard with a very high success rate on recover data and accidentally deleted files.

It's not free but it's very good and easy to use!! You can visit www.easeus.com