ASUS P5GD1 setup

edited September 2005 in Hardware
The P5GD1 only comes with 1 IDE connector (blue) and 2 for RAID (red) i believe, as well as 4 SATA connectors. I'm only using 1 IDE hdd and 1 IDE cd drive.

cd drive is jumper set to master
ide hdd is set to master

now i can't put them on one cable because i guess my case doesn't allow for it or the ribbons are too short.

i put the cd drive on the blue IDE connection and then the hdd on one of the RAID ports. I can boot to the cd rom but then the windows installer can't see the hard drive during the installation.

i tried reversing the situation and then I get a bsod with stop 0x0000007B when the files are done loading.

any suggestions?
(i have not tried to press F6, or configure any RAID options, i am a RAID noob so i thought i would just start out going plain jane IDE)

Comments

• zenusic5zenusic5 Metro Atlanta
    edited January 2005
    denass wrote:
    The P5GD1 only comes with 1 IDE connector (blue) and 2 for RAID (red) i believe, as well as 4 SATA connectors. I'm only using 1 IDE hdd and 1 IDE cd drive.

ide hdd is set to master

now i can't put them on one cable because i guess my case doesn't allow for it or the ribbons are too short.

i put the cd drive on the blue IDE connection and then the hdd on one of the RAID ports. I can boot to the cd rom but then the windows installer can't see the hard drive during the installation.

i tried reversing the situation and then I get a bsod with stop 0x0000007B when the files are done loading.

any suggestions?
    (i have not tried to press F6, or configure any RAID options, i am a RAID noob so i thought i would just start out going plain jane IDE)

denass,

Did the mobo come with a RAID driver diskette? If not, then you should be able to make a diskette from the drivers CD that came with the mbob.
    Then you will need to press F-6 during the initial stage of the installation process when prompted to supply additional drivers. Windows may already have drivers that will work, but you will probably have more updated drivers on your drivers CD or diskette that came with the mobo. You would only have to do this if you are planning on running RAID. You cannot create RAID with one disk anyway, so I don't think you'll get any advantage running the HDD off of one of the RAID channels. I could be wrong, but I've never tried this.

If you are not planning on running any type of RAID I believe it would be best to get a longer cable and use the onboard IDE connector (blue) with the drives jumpered properly. i.e. HDD as master, CDD as slave. Then Windows should see the drives during installation and not need any additional drivers from you. Make sure the BIOS recognized the drives, and reports them during POST.
    HTH

Ben

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859
  • edited January 2005
    Do your full install with it temporarily on the controller with the CD-rom(blue jack). You may have to temporarily mount/lay the HD near it.
    Make sure you get the windows service packs and drivers from the ASUS Cd installed.

Then, move the hard disk to the ITE raid/sata/ide controller(red jack) and reboot. Don't forget to set the BIOS up for the ITE controller for IDE mode and check your jumper settings on the drives.

This worked for me.
    I tried to f-6 install the raid drivers from a floppy with no luck.
  • edited January 2005
    Heat has it right,
    i as well had the same problem but did manage to get a step further i got the blue screen code midway during windows installation using the raid driver disk
    anyways if u connect the Cd Rom and the Hard Drive on the Primary IDE (blue connector) as well as have the jumper settings correct u will be able to install windows with out the :fu: x0000007b blue screen :fu:

Good Luck, Happy Computing
  • imported_oldtimerimported_oldtimer Mississauga,ON
    edited January 2005
    See other post,
    It depends on the ide connections i figure.But the harddrives should be masters
    Primary and secondary or the end connections.
    My opticals are E and F secondary's
    So more on your 1 or 2 or partitioned...
  • edited August 2005
    wrote:
    Same Old Story, even in August 2005. Will try hdd and cd on same cable. will post results.
    Anybody know the BIOS version from the January posts? Will check and post mine from Aug 05, and will check with ASUS to see if they ever tried to fix this mess. I believe that the BIOS is responsible for this problem. It has the job of id-ing the hardware during boot, and it is screwing up the job.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    Put your optical drive in Cable Select mode.

EDIT:// Or go buy a 3 dollar IDE cable for your secondary. Check your bios for RAID, and disable it. Unless you got 3 drives or more, You don't need raid.

If you're using Serial ATA(SATA) You need to hit F6, and install your SATA driver.
  • edited September 2005
    per ASUS: When loading an OS to a HDD connected to the Red Ports, (PRI/SEC_EIDE) make sure that you are loading the F6 drivers for the ITE 8211 Controller. Those drivers may be found at our support webiste, support.asus.com. Thank you for supporting our products.

denass wrote:

ide hdd is set to master

any suggestions?
  • edited September 2005
    Hi,

I also have problem connecting a mix of drives to P5GD1.

I have 1xSATA, 2xParallel ATA, and 2xDVD-ROM drives, new and old. I tried connecting the 2 DVD-ROM drives to the UltraDMA 100/66/33 connector, the SATA to the first SATA connector, and the 2 parallel ATA drives (note: not Ultra ATA drives) to the first UltraDMA 133/100/66 connector. The SATA is set to factory default, i.e. NOT in AHCI or RAID mode.

I boot up the system and brought up the system configuration menu, but the parallel ATA drives were not detected.

Could anyone please show me the right way my drives should be set up.

Thanks.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2005
    Hi,

I also have problem connecting a mix of drives to P5GD1.

I have 1xSATA, 2xParallel ATA, and 2xDVD-ROM drives, new and old. I tried connecting the 2 DVD-ROM drives to the UltraDMA 100/66/33 connector, the SATA to the first SATA connector, and the 2 parallel ATA drives (note: not Ultra ATA drives) to the first UltraDMA 133/100/66 connector. The SATA is set to factory default, i.e. NOT in AHCI or RAID mode.

I boot up the system and brought up the system configuration menu, but the parallel ATA drives were not detected.

Could anyone please show me the right way my drives should be set up.

Thanks.

Try booting without your SATA drive in and see if they are detected. If they aren't try booting with only one ata drive in. It's all about pin pointing the conflict.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    Ok, It sees your SATA hard drive, but ignores your ATA hard drives? Did you turn off thoes channels in the bios?