What thermal paste does ATI use?

Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Took the heatsink off my video card and then reinstalled it with AS to see if that might be the problem with my video card, it was not, now I wish to send it back and I would like to put the original thermal paste back on so as not to screw up the warrenty, any ideas.
It was a "ATI 9800 Pro 256"
Boy am I stupid, don't answer that, lol

Comments

• edited January 2005
    Probably none, removing your heatsink would probably void the warranty. Not many shops are gonna check for that though, so just clean it up as best you can.
  • Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited January 2005
    rapture wrote:
    Probably none, removing your heatsink would probably void the warranty. Not many shops are gonna check for that though, so just clean it up as best you can.
    Ok, but it had a thermal paste on it before, not sure what it was.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2005
    If I had to guess prolly the cheap white stuff...
  • edited February 2005
    ATI probably uses the cheapest stuff they can find, just carefully apply some of the cheap white stuff in a small amount. Chances are they aren't going to check for that anyways. THey get way to many cards back to take apart every one
  • imported_oldtimerimported_oldtimer Mississauga,ON
    edited February 2005
    You gotta be kidding and stop posting your mistakes.
    Reminds me of posts like,mbd's in the dishwasher,soldering new things to a mbd.Almost forgot,takeing out the battery performs miracles.
    I hope members here study a little harder.Pllllllleeeeeeease.
    :yell1:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    oldtimer, You need to chill out bud. Going into all the threads and smartmouthing is not the way to make friends. We are here to learn and help others to learn. And we all make mistakes. What you learn from the mistakes makes you better. And taking the battery out and reseting the cmos jumper just clears the cmos when you need to. It's not a miracle cure. Lastly, Just because your not interested in modding anything, doesn't mean others aren't. Lets try to be a little more tollerant of others please.
  • imported_oldtimerimported_oldtimer Mississauga,ON
    edited February 2005
    Hawk wrote:
    oldtimer, You need to chill out bud. Going into all the threads and smartmouthing is not the way to make friends. We are here to learn and help others to learn. And we all make mistakes. What you learn from the mistakes makes you better. And taking the battery out and reseting the cmos jumper just clears the cmos when you need to. It's not a miracle cure. Lastly, Just because your not interested in modding anything, doesn't mean others aren't. Lets try to be a little more tollerant of others please.

This isn't always easy.What do you mean "all the threads" ?
    ======
    I guess i posted this somewhere else,Takeing out and replaceing the battery is a little like doing an fdisk.It clears the mbd 655 k Convential memory.
    But,its not that easy and shouldn't be suggested to the untrained,in minor detail.Change the battery comment does not teach or learn.
    The average member looks at mods as experienced PC users and will quickly accept your advice.Be sure you explain it in full detail.
    Maybe i don't want to mod,just comment on what might be misunderstood.
    Sorry if i was frank but i don't think thats smartmouthing.
    If 10 of us where in the same room i'm sure we'd all go home with no bad feelings,just smarter,It's hard to do this way.
    :thumbsup:
  • ercerc
    edited March 2005
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... but I was wondering how the RMA went.

I'm in a similar situation. Had video artifacts and first assumed it was because the card was overheating, so I took the heatsink off, re-applied some good thermal paste, and put the heatsink back on. It didn't end up fixing the problem, so now I want to RMA the card. (it seems like the card's ram has gone bad.. the only way I can get rid of the artifacts is by lowering the memory clock about as far as it'll go.)
  • Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited April 2005
    Have not RMA'ed yet, thanks for reminding me. Hmmmm... still wondering what I will do.