CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5500

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Does anyone know if this is a reliable video card? I was looking to upgrade my pc with it. N CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5500 Video Card, 256MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "SA5500T2" -RETAIL

Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce FX5500/270MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/400MHz
BUS: AGP 4x/8x
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video)+DVI connector
Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 1.4
Cable/Accessories: 1 Cables, Driver CD, Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048x1536@85Hz
Newegg has it for $80.

Thanks. Steve

Comments

• edited February 2005
    Well if you are going to use it for games you are going to be in deep trouble. My msi geforce 4 ti4200 has double the score on aquamark 3 and 3dmark2001. If you are planning just for application then is ok. If you want a card for gaming and cheap i would recommend the radeon 9600xt.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    It all depends on what your planning to do w/ the card. Could you elaborate on this please?
  • edited February 2005
    Zuntar wrote:
    It all depends on what your planning to do w/ the card. Could you elaborate on this please?[/QUOTE
    My son will use it for college, but wants to be able to play some newer pc games. Thanks.
  • edited February 2005
    Depending on what you can afford I would go for a Radeon 9600XT a Radeon 9800 Pro or a Geforce 6600
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited February 2005
    9600 xts work well for the money, I temporarily had one and it is a seeable notice on Unreal Tournament 2004 some of the time, usually with a high resolution, on even newer games it is more noticable, like on Doom 3 with settings higher. I would think the 9600 XT is plenty, but the 3 above would go in order fron worst to best (left to right) so take your pick. Any and all of them are good right now, just not the best.
  • edited February 2005
    Thanks for the infor. I will look into all of them.
  • edited February 2005
    Let us know which one you pick, its always nice to hear how these things work out :)
  • edited March 2005
    rapture wrote:
    Let us know which one you pick, its always nice to hear how these things work out :)
    I purchased a ATI AIW 9800PRO. It was difficult to load the software/drivers. I had to uninstall the program the third time and then downloaded updated drivers from ATI. Finally got the thing to going. It works super. It is a blast to watch TV on the PC. I have recorded some movies, but I believe that I need a decoder program so that I can copy to DVD format that is playable on my panasonic dvd player. The dvd of a movie that I copied is not recognized on my dvd player. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do? I would recommend the AIW 9800PRO, the graphics are unbelievable.

Steve
  • edited March 2005
    u talkin like a tru pirate yes indeedy try sumptin like a 321 studious dvd progrem ya kno ifin pirattin sail like 1
    edited March 2005
    I know what the first 1/2 said, started getting lost at the 3rd quarter, and lost ya all in the 4th. We arn't talking piracy here.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Sometimes the name says it all. ;)
    edited March 2005
    Zuntar wrote:
    Sometimes the name says it all. ;)
    huh! it does!
  • edited April 2005
    yagga wrote:
    huh! it does![/
    Go to your TV setup and start the initialization wizard. At the recording format wizard click on the MPEG format. This will record at MPEG 1 & 2. I also downloaded vso DIVx to DVD program to use to encode some TV movies that I downloaded (its not free, but comes with a trial period). This should work. My ATI AIW 9800PRO was hard to download the drivers. I finally downloaded from the ATI website. It is a great video card with great graphics. I installed a Chaintech nVidia Geforce FX5200 on my son's new Dell. Its graphics are just as good as the 9800PRO, by the way.