Dual Core CPUs

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Are dual core cpus going to run similar to an Intel HT cpu, by that I mean will Windows think 2 cpus are running, and show 2 in the task panel?

This being hardware based I would guess that it can't be disabled?

Just wondering because some of my games run a WHOLE LOT better with my HT turned off, as they only get 1.4Ghz with it on, but off they utilize the full 2.8Ghz. There is a lot more agility and loading speeds are increase by much. I have had HT turned off for several weeks now and don't plan on turning it back on.

Comments

• youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited February 2005
    never worried too much about intel chips, i thought HT was supposed to be the uber greatness of intel chips...interesting that it runs better turned off in some programs
  • edited February 2005
    i like to spam
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2005
    Dual Core chips will only show as one proccessor most likely. But it's all theoretical at this point. The benefit of having a dual core instead of 2 cpu's is speed they can talk to each other faster since they don't have to pass through the mobo. The dissadvantage I imagine would be the incredible ammount of heat they'll generate.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited February 2005
    *yagga shutters at the thought of 2 prescotts in the same house
  • phlipphlip hell
    edited February 2005
    The idea of dual core is to reduce the heat/performance ratio amd has stated that they will be runn 600 to 1000 mhz slower than standard single core cpu's... I also saw at toms hardware that windows detects the dul core samples as 2 cpu's
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2005
    It's only a matter of time before they up the speed and the heat starts ramping again. Though it's cool that windows actually detects it as 2 cpu's that surprises me.
  • edited February 2005
    Think about it, the thing that makes the processor do what it does is the core. Things like cache and even the die are just to hold it all together. Personally I think dual core is a big waste of time but what do I know :P
  • zenusic5zenusic5 Metro Atlanta
    edited April 2005
    Does this mean that Windows XP Home would not support Dual core processing(processors) and you would have to specify a multi-processor HAL when installing Windows XP Pro?
    If so, no performance increase would be experienced with XP home but XP pro would be able to take advantage of the capability of virtual multiple processors. Also, does this mean that any apps that are written with the capability to take advantage of multiple processors would only be able to realize the increased performance with XP Pro?

Trying to get a grip on this concept.

Ben
  • ShockjockShockjock Dekalb, Illinois
    edited April 2005
    With dual core, pretty much any program that runs single threads (like games) will run significantly slower at first, due to the fact that the dual cores will be clocked slower then a similarly priced single core unit. However, once programmers start incorporating multiple threads in their programs to take advantage of the dual cores, then you should see a nice increase in performance. You should see a performance increase right off the bat if you run multiple programs at the same time that tax the processor(s), but how many do that?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Is the methodology of hyperthreading the same w/ AMD's A64s and Intels?

As in how much impact on regular apps and games is the HT setting?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    dual core a64's are syncronized and should run simular to dual cpu's. They are also easier to cool.
  • edited April 2005
    Easier to cool? How does that work? Dont they have to be clocked a lot slower to cut down on heat or did I just make that up from stuff I've not read properly? (Wouldnt be the first time!)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    a lot of the dual core theory is left to interpretation.
    without going into tons of detail ...basically there is more energy loss in a theoretical 3 ghz single core chip. So if you have 1 chip dual core @ 2x1.5ghz you don't have as much heat loss and they run at lower voltage.
    The cooling issues is partly because the dual cores spread the heat source more evenly just making it easier to cool.

"One design aspect does become easier however. With a single core design, typically the hottest section for the chip would be the floating-point unit. A multi-core chip would not have a single large hot-spot, but several warm-spots spread around the processor. Multi-core chips would have more logic and less cache (which doesn't consume too much power) so the actual usage of power would be spread more evenly around the chip. This makes cooling somewhat easier." ...aceshardware

although we're seeing 3ghz+ chips now doesn't mean we'll see dual cores @ 3ghz each any time soon if ever. But to get to 4ghz we just need to see 2x2ghz cores. Maybe 4x1ghz cores. It's all speculation because this is very complex engineering.

I doubt you'll see multi-core gaming systems any times soon ...they'll make better server chips.
  • edited April 2005
    makes sense when you put it that way, thanks for the explaination!