edited April 2005 in Hardware
I just grabbed a new system:
3.2 Gige Pentium
Gigabyte GA-81915P DUO (Pro) Intel 915P Express Chipset
ATI Radeon X800
DiamondMax Plus 9 160 Gige HD
etc, etc, etc

I wasn't happy with how it was running or setup so was going to format the HD
and start from scratch. (I used MaxBlaster 3.6 on the HD)

Now I can't seem to get the puter to recognize and hard drive at all.

Need help.....

:help:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Does the hard drive appear in the BIOS? or is it just invisible when you try to install windows?
  • edited March 2005
    Does the hard drive appear in the BIOS? or is it just invisible when you try to install windows?

It does not appear anywhere. And when I boot from my XP Pro CD it says no hard drive found and may need *special drivers.

(I'm so fed up with the run around the shop that sold it to me has given me, I'd rather find such a driver anywhere else rather than even talk to them. I've had this thing for two weeks and other than blasting some tunes with the S750's, I haven't had an hour's enjoyment out of it)

*naturally the shop did not privide me with any such floppy disc.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2005
    have you taken anything apart?
    edited March 2005
    Okay, so I just want to clarify this: When you go into your computer's BIOS and go to the hard drive detection screen, it just simply does not show up, nor does it show up in the list of drives before windows actually starts loading? Have you gone into the BIOS and done the hard drive auto detect?

The reason I am asking is because I am trying to determine if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.
  • edited March 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    have you taken anything apart?

No, only thing I did was change a BIOS setting/unplug the HD as per instructions from Maxtor. (It didn't help HD didn't show up after following their advise)

The thing is going back to the shop and they are going to fix it or give me back my coin. That is their only ONLY TWO Options.

I got the proper floppy (RAID VIA or VIA RAID) and it still would not recognize any HD booting from XP Pro CD.
    Yes prime, I've been in there........to detect it....and nothing. It's like my HD was out sitting on my desk instead of being in the case. :)

I'm starting to think even though it's a new HD, it may have failed.
  • youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited March 2005
    this may seem dumb...well what the hell, the hard drive is not a SATA is it?
    edited March 2005
    are you sure you plugged the drive back in correctly power ide/sata connectore? It's possible the ribbon got disconnected or loosened on the motherboard side also. It's possible that it is dead. However seems more like something isn't being hooked up correctly. Are your other devices being recognized?
  • bobbycanadabobbycanada Sea Cliff, N.Y.
    edited March 2005
    Run fdisk and low format.
    edited March 2005
    If he can't see the drives in bios fdisk and low level format aren't going to do anything.

Unplug all your drives power and ide/sata cables check the master/slave/CS jumpers and plug it all back in again.
    edited March 2005
    Many times a HDD will get corrupted and become unrecognizable in both BIOS as well as Windows. At this point the only cure I know of is format.
    edited March 2005
    Bobby, if you can't see the drive in the BIOS, how in the hell are you supposed to format it? :rolleyes:
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited March 2005
    yeah, if the bios can't see the drive then nothing can

i would do what kryyst said. i thought i killed my HD once but my ide cable was out 1mm on the mobo....
    edited March 2005
    I just went into my BIOS (Phoenix-Award) and out of 6 HDD's it shows only my RAID array, and all my drives are healthy. Maybe we are talkin two different birds.
    edited March 2005
    your bios will show all drives, period. Whether it be your primary bios or the bios for your raid controller, it will show the drives. go into it, go to HDD detection or whatever yours happens to be called, and you will see every drive. If you don't see your drives, you're looking in the wrong place
    edited March 2005
    Ok, primesuspect. The BIOS doesn't show any SATA or SCSI drives.
  • edited March 2005
    this may seem dumb...well what the hell, the hard drive is not a SATA is it?
    ya...and I know where you're going with that
    :) .....yes I have the floppy for that... (the HD does not show up anywhere)
    and to the other question about my wires being plugged in someone asked...yes...

It's back in the shop and I'm sitting staring at my silent S750's waiting for it to come back......FIXED! hopefully. I had concerns about the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-81915P-DUO ATX, I915P, 800FSB, 4 DDR2/DDR 533/400+, I personally don't like anything "onboard") and how well everything would work together but hopefully they were/are unfounded and all works well when it gets back.
    edited March 2005
    Good luck, Dammaged.
  • edited March 2005
    There was a problem with the HD approx 1 - 1.5 giges in. Apparently where this problem was located on the HD was a major problem.

Finally getting some of the performance I had expected.
    :horn:
    edited March 2005
    Dammaged, what a great sig, What program did you use?
  • edited April 2005
    Dammaged, what a great sig, What program did you use?
    Simple program (s) Crystal 3D Impact Pro & Paint Shop Pro
  • edited April 2005
    Hi guys, Im having very similar probs with this mb--I had xp pro running great on it till it stopped booting up saying system disk failure -- I couldn't get it to boot and tried another hard drive in it--- the new one being pata rather than sata -- and it worked so I sent back the sata 200 gig hd and it came back now cmos reads it ( not like before) and by bootable xp pro disk allows me to formatt it - with out a prob- --- but thats as far as it goes -- when it tries to boot for the first time it comes up with the same error -- the setting should all be correct -- cpuid set to 3 is disabled and sata mode is set to enhanced --- any ideas?
    my version of xp pro is old without service pack 2 built in --- would this make any difference?