Ok, so what did I brake?

edited March 2005 in Hardware
MSI Neo Platinum and an Athlon 64 3000+ no longer posts. All I get is repeated long beeps. No pattern or anything, just a long beep, a pause, then another long beep. This carries on till I power off. Memory has been tested in another machine, other hardware doesnt seem to make a difference.

Cleared the CMOS by shorting pins, removed the battery but still no post. This is after cleaning up the CPU and cooler to reapply paste after the CPU hit the high 50s at 100% usage (Folding and Rome:Total War)

Any ideas? It should all be under warranty and as there isnt any visible damage I'm gonna go for an RMA. Not overclocked or modded anything. I dont think I abused anything either, but you never know...

This is the first thing I've broke so far, well. Of my own anyway :) Work equipment doesnt count :D

Comments

• NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited March 2005
    You take the cpu out then reseat it?
  • edited March 2005
    3 or 4 times now yes :) Cant see a single thing wrong with any of it, checked every single pin too.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2005
    after you reset the cmos jumper did you move it back?
    edited March 2005
    Hmmm, no bent/missing pins. ok, did you check the fan connector? Some mobo's won't fire up without a 3pin hooked up to the cpu fan header.

I pray you did'nt zap the chip with static while removing it to reapply the tim.
  • edited March 2005
    CMOS pin is back in place, and a fan is also connected. Even tried the stock AMD cooler which I've not used for 6 months just to test that one out.

Its looking more and more like I broke something while I was screwing around, though if it is something like static that will be pretty hard to spot for a retailer right?

Is there an easy(ish) way I can test out whats causing me problems without trying out other hardware? The people I know with Athlon 64s got theirs after me and have socket 939 while mine is just 754 so I can only work with what I have.
    edited March 2005
    I'm getting a 754 also. Why don't you try the bare essentials like taking the mobo out of the case? Place the mobo on a wooden table or something, then just mount up cpu, hsf, 1 stick of ram and VC. See if you can power up into bios.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Rapture, do you have the d-bracket attatched? if so does it light up? Dunno if that could give you any info.

I have the same board and processor so I am highly interested in what happens w/ yours. When did you get it?
  • ShockjockShockjock Dekalb, Illinois
    edited March 2005
    How many Mem modules do you have? Have you tried using just one, then alternated the sockets that you seat it in?
  • edited March 2005
    Tried everything I can think of and still it wont post, its terminal I think. D-Bracket shows 1-Red 2-Red 3-Green 4-Red which according to the guides I can find that means error initializing system keyboard. None of the lights are supposed to turn green after a faulty or missing CPU.

Only thing I've not tried is booting outside the case. I took everything appart last night so I will try that one later on.

Oh, and thanks for all the help!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    power to vid card?
  • edited March 2005
    Everything else does as its meant to. Video card fan starts up and drives are all given power when I have those plugged in too. Its as if the board knows everything is there and knows what its supposed to do, just that something stops it.
    edited March 2005
    rapture wrote:
    Tried everything I can think of and still it wont post, its terminal I think. D-Bracket shows 1-Red 2-Red 3-Green 4-Red which according to the guides I can find that means error initializing system keyboard. None of the lights are supposed to turn green after a faulty or missing CPU.

Only thing I've not tried is booting outside the case. I took everything appart last night so I will try that one later on.

Oh, and thanks for all the help!

Stupid question, what happens w/ a different keyboard? that shouldn't stop the world, but nothing would surprize me.

OH, have you checked out the MSI forums for similar issues?
    edited March 2005
    Anything yet?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    damn this is unusual. but i didnt have the best of luck with my msi board eaither
  • edited March 2005
    It looks like I'm good for an RMA, I was gonna call today as I had the day off work but ended up playing Rome all day instead!
  • edited March 2005
    Looks like it was the motherboard, picked another one up today and just booted with the new hardware. Running in a new Akasa Eclipse 62 case which is very nice. Gonna see if I can RMA the old board and pick up another CPU then its 2 Athlon 64s for the fold.
    edited March 2005
    Sweet!!!