DEP shutting down Explorer?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
When I try to access my G drive(partition), I get a window saying that DEP has to close explorer.

The actual message states, "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program." And Windows Explorer is listed. It seems to only happen to this particular partition, I am trying to clean out all kinds of crap in it, and can't seem to do so becuase it shuts it down.

I did a virus scan with AVG and an online scan at antivirus.com, I used spybot search and destroy but nothing came up. I am about to run Ad Aware as I forgot I had it, but I doubt that will show up with anything either.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    the one program that iuse all the time and i hate to say it is MS anti spyware finds stuff nothing else does. try that... Also maybe windows is starting to take a crap? when was last format? or defrag?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Not too long ago, I used to do it on a monthly basis, but that got old having to deactivate certain programs so I can reactivate and use them after the reformat, occasionally forgetting then having to call some jerk up and have to get my copy reactivated so I can use a program I paid good money for but yet can't use becuase I want to reformat to keep my clean nice and clean every month... ok I ain't gonna rant, but it's only been a couple months at most so far since the last reformat.

Upon my memory though, I just recalled that the G drive is actually not another partition, but my second HDD I kinda forgot about. It has two partitions, but the other works fine.

I am doing another virus scan and I was wrong about one thing before, becuase it ALWAYS shows up. But I have a virus in my JAVA program I assumed is related or required for JAVA to work. I don't have the name right now as the scan is still going on and it doesn't show up until after it's done. But It was something like JAVA_veribyte? Something along those lines.

It's never given me a problem before, I have deleted it manually before, and after a reboot it just comes right back. Hijack this doesn't even stop it, nothing does. Which is why I assumed it's the program itself.

Still though, I don't think it has anything to do with this...
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    What settings are added or changed in Windows XP Service Pack 2?
    System-wide Configuration of DEP

Data execution prevention configuration for the system is controlled through Boot.ini switches. Additionally, changes to System in Control Panel have been made to enable end users to easily configure DEP settings if they are logged onto the system as an administrator.
    Windows supports four system-wide configurations for both hardware-enforced and software-enforced DEP.
    Check out this page all the way on the bottom and it will explain DEP and what it does, how it functions. And it has directions on how ot get to it and turn it off.
    SP2 strikes again.......
    Data Execution Prevention
    edited March 2005
    This is why i dont use SP2
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    ehh... I just disabled DEP for Windows Explorer. It works. Next to find out what those virus's are that keep coming back.
    edited March 2005
    Avast mattie