DVD authoring software

HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I am looking for a utility to make DVD videos. I can make my video files into VOB files with "VSO DivXtoDVD Converter" - that part works fine.

I can NOT use 'CopyToDVD' however. The Patin-Couffin drivers will NOT install, no matter how many times I hit the machine with a bat. Been all over the forums for them, tried it all. Nothing works. I THINK it just does not like my LG burner. (CopyToDVD works on friends PC - can make DVDs there, but want to do it on MINE).

I have NERO 6, with the 6.6.0.3 update. NeroVision Express refuses to make DVD movies. I CAN use Nero to make data DVDs though. NeroVision Express will not let me select my DVD burner. I HAVE installed the MPEG driver.

What other good utility is there? Free is better.

Comments

• edited March 2005
    your looking for a DVD burning program right?
  • HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
    edited March 2005
    Yes. Take the standard DVD "VOB" files and make them into a Video DVD.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2005
    Using Nero Express instead of burning the project directly to DVD turn it into an image first (.nrg) and then use regular nero to transfer the project to DVD. There could be something screwy going on with your system but I've been using Nero Ultra now for about 6 months on my Sony DVD burner with no problems and a friend has been using it on his LG DVD burner for just about as long.
    edited March 2005
    D'Oh!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I really SHOULD have thought of that.
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited March 2005
    yes, nero express sucks IMO. its too user friendly(thinks it knows what you want to do). i just use nero burning rom usually beucase it seems to work alot better.
    edited March 2005
    I do like the way it lets me make a menu for the DVD. I'm gonna try that Image method asap (few days).
    edited March 2005
    I agree I like the tools nero has for setting up menus and all the customization but you definitely have to do the image first before the burn. I also like Nero because I previously tried several other programs and they all had issues here or there. Nero is the first one that allows me to take any video and audio source and just throw it together. It's also great at working with different size videos and squeezing them onto DVD's. The other plus is it's great with Pal/ntsc conversion and doesn't do the super letter box like a few others I've tried.
    edited March 2005
    :yell1: :shoot: :fu: :yell1: :shoot: :help: :yell1: :shoot: :yell1: :fu: :fu:

(on buddies PC)
    I use NeroVision Express to create the DVD I want, 'burn' it to an IMAGE file.

Then I open Nero Express and tell it I want to burn an image. I select the file I saved, it starts burning the lead-in, THEN says the disk is not present, THEN it starts to burn the 'short lead-out'. Which takes 7 1/2 minutes at 8X, THEN it gives me two red X's and says the burn failed. The disk IS unusable in anything.

(My PC)
    I make up a small DVD to burn (slower PC). Burn the image. Start Nero Express, select the image file, start it and right away it says "Cannot write track at correct position with this recorder"....... and fails. No burn at all.
    edited March 2005
    pfffft Um I have no words to offer you. Accept to say maybe try re-installing nero and if you are running SP2 that's most likely the problem as I was having issues with burning and SP2.
    edited March 2005
    grump grump grump SP2 grump grump
    edited March 2005
    WOOHOO!!!!!!!
    I noticed my 'google' image in my sig.....smacked myself repeatedly....and put 'nerovision 3 unable burn dvd' into google..... and found....the answer.
    My machine now DOES do the image file bit.

In the very last screen before you hit the Burn button, there is a box on the upper right that says, "Set the parameters for burning." The very last selection is Recording Settings. Highlight that with your mouse and a gray box opens. At the very bottom there is a checkbox called "Use Burn-at-Once." Make sure this box is not checked.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/148590
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Hehehehe, That's funny HOB! Thnx for letting us know what it was also. That's something that can get overlooked quite easily.
    edited March 2005
    I don't even understand what it may have to DO with it...... when i'm burning an image file, i'm NOT burning it to disk anyway.
    edited March 2005
    Burn-at-once makes an image and burn's right away which is what causes the problem. I totally forgot about that little toggle. Though I still had issues with sp2 in burning.