Extracting Video & Audio with Nero 6 or Other software

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I would like to extract a part of the video and audio from a VCD. I have Nero 6 Ultra. When extracting the audio only, it seems that I can only do so by playing the VCD with an external DVD player and feed the audio to the audio input of the pc. When extracting the video, it seems that I need to install a video capture card so that the analogue video signal from the external DVD player can be turned into digital video signal and then be recorded by the pc. I have a DVD burner in my pc. I can play that VCD with the DVD burner in my pc. But I could not extract/record the video and audio directly from my DVD burner. I think when playing the VCD in the DVD burner, there are digital signals from the DVD burner. Why couldn't I extract/record the video and audio directly from my DVD burner? Will there be ways that I just don't know? Or will there be other software that can do this?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2005
    If this is a legit bought DVD then nero won't extract from it as it won't copy copyrighted material. You need to rip it first using something like DVD shrink then Nero will play with it and you can do whatever you like to it.
  • HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
    edited March 2005
    Yeh - to extract whole movie DVD Shrink is great.

Only want one chapter from it?

Super DVD Copy

Ripping from the DVD is the easy part most of the time, MAKING a DVD movie - i'm gonna try that image file method tonight. :rarr:
    edited March 2005
    HalOfBorg wrote:
    Ripping from the DVD is the easy part most of the time, MAKING a DVD movie - i'm gonna try that image file method tonight. :rarr:

Get on it man you were struggling with that like a week ago :)
    edited March 2005
    My DVD burner AND my buddies are at work....... so gotta wait till then.
  • edited March 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    If this is a legit bought DVD then nero won't extract from it as it won't copy copyrighted material. You need to rip it first using something like DVD shrink then Nero will play with it and you can do whatever you like to it.

I just got the DVD Shrink. It seems that DVD Shrink can only work with DVD but not VCD. Am I correct?
    edited March 2005
    Well if it's a VCD just copy it to your hard drive and copy it to the disk. But you are correct DVD Shrink only works with DVD's.
  • edited March 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    Well if it's a VCD just copy it to your hard drive and copy it to the disk. But you are correct DVD Shrink only works with DVD's.

Hi, I just want to extract part of the video and audio (not all). What software should I use? Nero 6?
    edited March 2005
    hotzeming wrote:
    Hi, I just want to extract part of the video and audio (not all). What software should I use? Nero 6?

If you can access the disk with nero then you can extract portions of it.
  • edited March 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    If you can access the disk with nero then you can extract portions of it.

I can access the disk (VCD) with Nero 6. Do you mean I can extract portions of the VCD with Nero 6? I have looked around Nero 6 and could not do this. Could you please give more hints on how to do it?
    edited March 2005
    Super DVD ripper

This will let you extract individual chapter(s) - if that is what you want. I have used it once - worked fine.
    edited March 2005
    You have to use Nero Vision Express to do it it comes with Nero 6 ultra.
  • edited March 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    You have to use Nero Vision Express to do it it comes with Nero 6 ultra.

Thanks for your help. Now I can do it using Nero Vision Express. But the quality of the extracted video is not as good as the original (viewed on the TV) when compared with the original full copy. Is this normal or I have done something wrong that lowered the quality?
    edited March 2005
    nope the quality should be as good (or at least not noticeable) to the source you are extracting it from. Just doulbe check your settings. Set the ratio to 16x9 and just check the level of compression.
  • edited March 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    nope the quality should be as good (or at least not noticeable) to the source you are extracting it from. Just doulbe check your settings. Set the ratio to 16x9 and just check the level of compression.

During the process of extraction/cutting under NeroVision Express, there is no settings that I can change. Should the settings be changed under other applications?
    Also, one more question. Can I extract part of the audio only from the VCD by using Nero 6? If yes, under what application?
  • edited March 2005
    HalOfBorg wrote:
    Super DVD ripper

This will let you extract individual chapter(s) - if that is what you want. I have used it once - worked fine.

Hi, thanks for your advice. What I want is to extract or cut part of the video and/or audio from the VCD. I am not sure part of the video or audio means a certain chapter or not. Since I already have Nero 6, if it can do this, then I don't have to buy Super DVD ripper. Therefore, I will try the Nero 6 first before buying the Super DVD ripper.
    edited March 2005
    hotzeming wrote:
    During the process of extraction/cutting under NeroVision Express, there is no settings that I can change. Should the settings be changed under other applications?
    Also, one more question. Can I extract part of the audio only from the VCD by using Nero 6? If yes, under what application?

The settings are under the more tab you can set aspect ratios level of compression and NTSC/PAL.

As for extract just audio without the picture I don't believe you can do that with nero.

But once you get the clip to the size you want you should be able to run it thorugh M$'s movie maker I think it's got the ability to do that, but I've never tried it so I"m only guessing.
  • edited March 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    The settings are under the more tab you can set aspect ratios level of compression and NTSC/PAL.

As for extract just audio without the picture I don't believe you can do that with nero.

But once you get the clip to the size you want you should be able to run it thorugh M$'s movie maker I think it's got the ability to do that, but I've never tried it so I"m only guessing.

Hi, thanks again for your advice. I could only find the option of choosing between NTSC and PAL. No matter NTSC or PAL I still find the extraction with poorer quality. I really could not find the setting for aspect ratios and level of compression. Attached please find the screens that I got. Please give me further advice if possible.
    edited March 2005
    hotzeming wrote:
    Hi, thanks again for your advice. I could only find the option of choosing between NTSC and PAL. No matter NTSC or PAL I still find the extraction with poorer quality. I really could not find the setting for aspect ratios and level of compression. Attached please find the screens that I got. Please give me further advice if possible.

On my version it's in more>video options
  • edited March 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    On my version it's in more>video options

Yours is NeroVision Express 3 and mine is NeroVision Express 2. That is why I do not have those settings. Anyway, thanks a lot.