Bandwidth Priority

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Does anyone know of software that would give bandwidth priority to things I choose? A bandwidth limiter is nice, but bandwidth priority is ideal.

Comments

• verselloversello New
    edited March 2005
    I was looking for a packet trafficking software too some time ago, but couldn't find any.

My LinkSys WRT54G router has QoS, however. You can pick these up pretty cheaply.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited March 2005
    what do you mean by cheaply?
  • verselloversello New
    edited March 2005
    You can buy them for $45-55 online.
    edited March 2005
    I honestly don't know about what QoS is, and on Linksys site is shows it under lan options, not wan options. How does it work?
  • verselloversello New
    edited March 2005
    Quality of Service is a LAN option... and it's basically the technology behind what you want -- bandwidth priotization / trafficking. Consider QoS like a traffic cop, separating your computer(s) and the internet, and it allows data to pass through with a given priority.

Here's a screenshot of my router's admin QoS panel. As you can see, I have remote desktop with a higher priority over ftp/http.

QoS is mainly useful for things like Voice Over IP, video, and online games. By using QoS, you could, say, be downloading bittorrents, while still play an online game with a respectable ping if higher priority was given to the game over bittorrent traffic.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2005
    I was going to mention the linksys thing it's what I use. However I've got it set up one step further with seasofts flash so it's got way more options on how you can prioritize the bandwith.
    edited March 2005
    versello wrote:
    By using QoS, you could, say, be downloading bittorrents, while still play an online game with a respectable ping if higher priority was given to the game over bittorrent traffic.

Exactly what I was concerned with. :thumbsup: And also to prevent a little lag on web page loading.

I've been wanting a new router for some time too, because it started dropping connections all the time, but it hasn't for a while, so I don't know, I'll wait on getting a new one until I see a deal or mine starts dropping connections again.

By the way Kryyst, I would be interested in something like that.
  • verselloversello New
    edited March 2005
    I used to have the Sveasoft firmware, 'til I got my new laptop and was having major wireless problems with it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2005
    versello wrote:
    I used to have the Sveasoft firmware, 'til I got my new laptop and was having major wireless problems with it.

I know people that have had issues but just depends on the cards in question and the version. I know the newest ones have fixed alot of the issues but you still have way better luck using linksys all the way around.