Control Panel Language

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I have installed a visual style program that made my comp look like a mac, so when I uninstalled it, my control panel appears in French on the actual control panel and on the Explorer window, how do I change it back to English? I think it has something to do with a Registry Key or Value.

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    What program did you install? windowblinds,theme xp, etc?
    Did you check the regional and language settings in the control panel to see if you can change it back....
    regional%20&%20language.jpg
  • edited March 2005
    I have done the regional language settings, still the control panel shows up in French.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Need to know what program you installed, to research the fix.
    I can see in your sig that your running win xp pro.
  • edited March 2005
    The Program is WinOSX.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I've searched for 2 hrs and can't find anything on it. Found alot of french sites for it.
    But nothing on this particular problem. Maybe one of our other members has some ideas. Did you install the french version by accident?
  • edited March 2005
    I beleive it is a French program. Hmm, I installed the English version, and it all seemed fine, uninstalled it, and my control panel is in French.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2005
    You could try re-installing it and then un-installing it again.

Control panel is controlled by your language settings. So if it's in a different language then there is something else doing it. Double check to see if everything has been removed ie. there isn't still something residing in your Program Files folder and do a regedit and look for this program and remove it from there. There is a good chance when this was un-installed the first time something got left behind because it was currently in use.

Then go into your language settings and change everything to say German and see if your control panel changes to german. If it does you are in good shape, changing it back to english should fix it.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    On some of the threads I've read... Others have DL'ed it and got viruses that were attached. Although they didn't say what the virus did.
    After you DL'ed it did you scan it with an anti virus program, before opening?
    That's something we all forget to do sometimes. Including myself, when I'm in a hurry to load something.
    Try what kryyst said and maybe go to the site where you DL'ed it from and ask if anyone else has the same problem.
  • edited March 2005
    Changed it to Finnish, and it stayed in English/French. And I did a virus check, nothing shows up.
  • edited March 2005
    Went to regedit, found the control panel keys, nothing shows up about language, and I checked Google a billion times and nothing. I'm clueless.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    It's got me stumped too. I've tried researching it and can't find anything either.
    I don't want to leave you hanging on this , so I'll reccomend you to our sistersite shortmedia. They have a great bunch of techs and maybe one of them has an idea what to do. If you get it fixed. Please let us know how you did it, so we can help the next person that might have the same problem. And I do appoligize for not being able to find the fix.
    Short-Media.com (software forums)
    edited March 2005
    You could also trying doing a repair install but I have a feeling that wouldn't correct the problem. But given the altertnatives of nothing else working it may be worth a try. To be honest though I'm stumped.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I wonder if a system restore to an earlier time before it was installed would change it back. I resort to system restore at last chance idea myself. That's why I haven't suggested it until now. It might work.
  • edited March 2005
    I should try it, but last time I did a system restore, my computer would not start, not even when I chose THE Last known Good Config. But I think that's because after I reinstalled Windows, it found about 150 viruses. Perhaps now it will work. I'll try a system restore, but The "Panneau de Configuration" Instead of "Control Panel" isn't that bad. Just a little annoying knowing I can't change it back in any easy fashion.
    edited March 2005
    Are the icons in the control panel in french or is it just the name itself?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I don't know.. I can't see it from here... just kiddin. I was thinking the same thing though.
  • edited March 2005
    The name in the adress bar is in French, and when I hit, open, from a program, and search through, the control panel is also in French. I bet a system restore will fix it. If I fix it another way, I'll post back and tell what I did. Thanks guys for all your help.