Problems with Abit KV8 Pro

ShockjockShockjock Dekalb, Illinois
edited March 2005 in Hardware
OK, decided to upgrade one of my computers. Up to this point the only harddrives I've used has been ATA. Anyway, I bouught a WD 300gb SATA harddrive, and went to do a clean install of Windows XP. As the computer booted up, the SATA Rom saw the harddrive. As windows install window came up I hit F6 to enable me to install the drivers provided, and then installed the drivers when prompted. The problem came about when I came to the partition window. It told me it was unable to find any harddrive. Ok, I thought, maybe there's a problem with the drivers, so I went to Abit's web site (did I mention the MB I bought was an Abit KV8 PRO?), downloaded a new set of drivers, but had the same problem as before. I must be doing something wrong, and I'm sure one of you extremely intelligent people know what it is. If so could you please passs said info on to me?

Thanks!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2005
    are you installing in a raid or just 2 hdd's? If you are setting up a raid (or did by accident) then you have to have the raid configured also or windows won't see the drives.
  • ShockjockShockjock Dekalb, Illinois
    edited March 2005
    Uh, actually just one harddrive. Do I have to have two set in a raid configuration?
    edited March 2005
    So no one here has any idea's on this?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    are you trying to install xp 64bit?
    edited March 2005
    Nope, plan old vanilla XP pro
    edited March 2005
    now there is TWO diff tyes of raid drivers for that board
    edited March 2005
    Yep, one you load (I thought) to get XP to recognize the drive(s) in the first place and is only 100 or so KB in size. The other is to be used as a driver for windows itself and is about 6mb in size. When you are first booting from the XP CD, you hit F6 to load new drivers. It recognizes the smaller set as a valid driver for the SATA ROM, but not the larger.
    edited March 2005
    well there is two types of raid controllers on that board am i correct? are you using the right driver for the controller its plugged into?
    edited March 2005
    I think you just hit the nail on the head. The MB included the Silicon image 3112 driver (whish is also the one I downloaded from Abit's website). I just assumed that they would include the drivers for the installed chip, but perhaps they are using the VIA raid on the south bridge. Thanks Gnome, I'll download the via drivers and try that tonight. Mucho Gracious for the help!
    edited March 2005
    w00t! SEE THAT AVATAR! THATS RIGHT I WAS BORN 1337!!I am teh mastar! lol No problem man i had the K8V-Max3 board ( one above yours ) its a great board