Welcome to Team Icrontic

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Folding@Home
We now have a nice tutorial on Folding@home that Citrix and I have put together.
So, If your new to folding or just want to learn what it is about, check out the tutorial Welcome to Team Icrontic
Fold for a cure. :fold: It may be your own.

Comments

• LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited April 2005
    Cool. Get the newbies folding!
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2005
    What ^ said! We need the new fellers starting! The old fellers are either already on the bandwagon or won't do it for whatever their personal reasons are.
  • e-natione-nation state college, pa
    edited June 2005
    maybe i fold, maybe i don't wanna... but i think it would be best, if you DO want the newbies to give 'er a go, then i'll first need a definition of what it means to "fold"
    edited June 2005
    What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

What does Folding@Home do? Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    That's why I put the link at the top of this thread. So you can click on it,--go to the page,--scroll down a little to the top of the article, (Welcome To Team Icrontic) and read what it is, what it does, how it works & why we do it. We hope you join the team. It's for a good cause and it runs in the background on your pc. The article explains it all.
    edited June 2005
    Hawk wrote:
    That's why I put the link at the top of this thread.

oops! don't normally disregard links like that... somehow overlooked it this time... very cool thing though indeed, that folding@home!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    No worries friend. And yes, folding is a cool way to join Stanford University in the search for disease cures. Not to mention when you join a team like we have here, it's fun to check your stats online- (how much you've folded for the day-week-month). When you hit certain milemarkers within the folding team you get posted in the forums for your accomplishment. There's also a program you can run that will monitor your machines progress of folding within your own system. This is the thread in the Distributed Folding Forum with the link on it. You can read what it does and how it works-- Electron Microscope III
    I also have a link there to a picture of mine running 3 pc's on Electron Microscope III. We're just getting started with promoting the team joining and progress reports, so you'll be getting in on the early stages of the fun.
    yagga & Gnomewizardd are our official mods for the folding forum, but most folders on the team will be glad to help you with any questions if they aren't available at the time.
    You also get to make your own banner signature that will dislpay in the forums when you post. Which is not working at the moment. We have someone working on it.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Sigs are not showing! I'll check into it. Maybe they're working now.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Sigs are working. My site settings were turned off. lol Mine is at the bottom of the post here e-nation, so you see you can make your own background and custom folding signature.
    edited June 2005
    Are there any efforts being made to increase the popularity of Folding @ Home outside of the Icrontic forum? Is there anything that we can do in our local communities?
    edited June 2005
    e-nation wrote:
    Are there any efforts being made to increase the popularity of Folding @ Home outside of the Icrontic forum? Is there anything that we can do in our local communities?

Only what members and participants are doing. Our sister site Short-Media has a big rally going on, getting people to spread the word, join, hand out business cards, etc.

If you are interested, just start folding (for Team Icrontic of course) and spread the word to friends and make sure they know it doesn't harm or slow down their computers at all.

Or, if you are creative and think of an idea, go for it and tell us all about it! :)
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    This link is dead. Prob should remove this sticky or fix the link. :P

Is icrontic folding still around?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    YES!!!! It is, we are team 33693 how can I help you?
    edited February 2007
    JARED!!! You eat healthy, now help others get healthy!

/edit, I see my post shows a posting date that isn't right, I had responded seconds after Zuntar
    edited February 2007
    What are you talkin about there Yagga Man?
    edited February 2007
    I guess I had a sudden outburst of randomness. I think it's over, for now...
    edited February 2007
    Hay guys :cool:

whats goin on in this thread
    edited February 2007
    nuttin
    edited February 2007
    I'm folding again :D
    we should get the sigs back up :D
    edited February 2007
    LiLbRo wrote: »
    I'm folding again :D
    we should get the sigs back up :D

LiLbRo, any new hardware?????? If ya havn't I may just have to pass ya by... if I were to get new hardware...:D
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2007
    How does folding work, as in the load it puts on the computer?
    edited February 2007
    How does folding work, as in the load it puts on the computer?

It basically pegs your processor at what ever percentage that you set it. Usually at 100%. Now with that said, It is a LOW priority program, so just about any other program including games takes precedence over it and you don't really notice that its running at all.
    edited February 2007
    So it's something that you turn on, and then forget about that computer. I'll be getting a P4 3.4ghz system soon from a friend. Think the P4 550'd handle it, or should I drop the 935 I want to in it then see how it works?
    edited February 2007
    Just about any PC will work, but the faster the PC the faster you complete work units. the faster you complete work units the closer you get to passing and beating the next guy. Of course, get two or more PC's folding under the same name.......look out!!!
    edited February 2007
    haha yagga, same ol rig :D good ol 1700+
    edited February 2007
    Then it looks like I'll scavange any PC's I can get my hands on.
  • edited February 2007
    So it's something that you turn on, and then forget about that computer.
    Pretty much yes, you shouldnt notice any difference in performance. Some of the work units use more RAM than others though.
    edited February 2007
    LiLbRo wrote: »
    haha yagga, same ol rig :D good ol 1700+

*sigh* same ol 2.8c here as well... and that kick ass 1.8 duron clocked at 1.35! :rock:
    edited February 2007
    Let's see how my FX does at this.
    edited February 2007
    Let's see how my FX does at this.

WOOT!!