bios help

edited April 2005 in Hardware
when i start my computer and it gets to the memory testing, it slows down to a crawl and takes like ten minutes to get to windows...anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'd do a memory test first to find out if you have corrupted memory....
    Memtest86 3.2
    Scroll down the page for instructions to put it on floppy.
    Run that first and then let us know what the outcome is.
  • edited April 2005
    No errors found, i just replaced the motherboard a couple of days ago, and it worked fine at first, could that be it?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Whoa, Now you didn't say anything about changing out MB's.
    Give us a full explanation of what your running, what you've changed and what specific problems are occuring.
    For Instance:::
    Did you wipe the HD and reinstall Windows. You haven't mentioned which OS your using.. Win XP Pro or Home,98SE,98,Mellenium?
    What MB? RAM? Also, How long did you run memtest---
    Let's go with that for a start and work from there.
  • edited April 2005
    Okay my hd fried so i'm using and old one until western digital sends my new one so i just reinstalled xp home, i put in a new mb - biostar p4vtg and i also added 512 meg ddr. i ran memtest for over an hour, i started it and left to run some errands.

basicaly what happens is i turn it on and it goes to the award bios screen and before it can test the mem or ide drives it freezes for several minutes then continues and loads windows
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I see there's a bunch of tests this board can be set to make before startup.
    There's like 25 different things that can be set to test.
    You may want to check those in the bios and turn most off. You don't need it to do all those tests everytime you start the pc.
    When you installed xp home, did you make any setting changes in the bios?
    You may want to reset with the CMOS Load Default Setup.
    Did you check the 5v plug for the HD and make sure it's not damaged. Maybe use another plug if available.
    Check your voltages with a program to see if their steady. Winbond Hardware Doctor 2.0
    What DDR Ram are you running pc3200, pc2700,etc? (Compatability problem could make it hang.)
    Did you install the latest VIA_4IN1_ drivers for that MB? P4VTG V7.X SOCKET 478
    What HD did you put in? Western Digital, Seagate,IBM,7200rpm,5400rpm, etc?
    Usually the HD manufaturer will have a program to check the HD.
    And by what your saying it's IDE, not SATA. Correct?
    Take your time and work through these, then get back to us.
  • edited April 2005
    Okay, i reset the cmos, and i never made any changes to the bios when i installed xp, i switched to a new plug for the hd, and when i tried to run winbond i got a runtime error.
    I'm using pc2100 ddr, which is supposed to be compatable, and i have have installed the latest drivers for the mb.
    the hd is an old one out of an hp, not sure on the brand, but it's 7200 and it is ide i ran a hd check and it found no problems.
    I'm at a complete loss, is my mb just a lemon maybe?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Sorry about the Winbond, I saw that you had an Intel system and figured it would work. Doesn't work on some.
    That motherboard should come with a voltage monitoring program. I'm not sure what it's called. Should be on the mobo cd. I know Asus has (Asus PC Probe).
    Did you set your boot sequence back to HD first then floppy, then CD Rom, after installing the OS.
    Have you loaded SP1, SP2?
    I personally only load SP1 & USB2.0, because I've run into problems loading SP2.
    Do you have any USB devices attached to the pc? webcam,USB flash drives,etc. If so, Try unattaching them and reboot.
    There are certain mobo's that will hang on boot with USB devices attached.
    Have you tried looking in the Device manager for anything that's not loaded correctly? If anything is out of order or drivers not loaded, It will have that device open with a red (!) question mark on it.
    Do you have any other faster RAM you could try in it? Swap it out and see how it boots. That mobo will use pc3200 400MHz ram. Or put the pc2100 ram in another pc and boot it up to see if the other pc hangs too.
    You might try turning off the boot memory test in the bios, to see if that stops it from hanging.
    Found a free program for voltage monitoring.... Speedfan
    Check these things and let me know what you find.
  • edited April 2005
    I unplugged my usb hub, and it worked like a charm, so i tried plugging everything in w/o the hub and it still worked! thanks hawk!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Ahah, That's great. I ran across a couple of support forums that had the USB problem on bootup.
    Now, It will probably work fine plugging it in after bootup. It just creates the long hang on bootup with it plugged in during bootup. So, If you have to have it, just plug it in after you get to desktop.
    Glad I could help you search out the problem. :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2005
    I have the Biostar P4VTG motherboard, Intel P4 3.2GHZ Prescott 1mb Cache and 1GB of Centon PC3200 memory all are new when I installed them. I installed a fresh copy of windows XP with SP2 and It seems This mobo is just killing memory. I ran the Microsoft memory tester they told me to run from the Centon site to test the memory and kept getting this LRAND test failure. I turn them all in for replacement and installed paired Kingston memory for a total of 512MB at PC3200 this worked fine for a day or so then the failure messages started again. Is there somewhere to find a actual bios setup for this board as the booklet doesn't have anything for it. Plus I can only get the processor to idle at 52 to 54 degree c but will reach almost 70 degree c at loads with periodic restarts of the system. I have tried almost everything to fix the problem and I have no plan to overclock even though the board supports it. I do believe the BIOS may have some settings preset to OC but can't verify. Anyone have any Ideas how I can fix this.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    First off, Welcome to Icrontic Hibikisan, Hope you enjoy the site.
    Second, You posted this problem your having on the end of a thread with a totally different problem that has been solved.
    You need to go to the main Bios Help & Modding forum, click on (New Thread) and make your post there so everyone will see it. Don't forget to put a Title to it also. You can just copy and paste your post from here to there, so you won't have to retype it.
    And I'm sure one of us will be able to help you check it out and find your problem. Thnx, Hawk
  • edited April 2005
    Cool I moved the post I will delete the first one soon as i figure out how. I am new to post so i'm a little lost at this point. :thumbsup:

Hawk wrote:
    First off, Welcome to Icrontic Hibikisan, Hope you enjoy the site.
    Second, You posted this problem your having on the end of a thread with a totally different problem that has been solved.
    You need to go to the main Bios Help & Modding forum, click on (New Thread) and make your post there so everyone will see it. Don't forget to put a Title to it also. You can just copy and paste your post from here to there, so you won't have to retype it.
    And I'm sure one of us will be able to help you check it out and find your problem. Thnx, Hawk
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    No prob, As long as you got it out in the main forum, so members will see it.
    Deleting is easy-- just click on the [Edit] button in your thread and there you'll see [Delete Thread] at the top. And you can just put (Moved) in the [Reason for Deletion] box.
  • edited April 2005
    Sorry to keep bothering you but I looked all over the edit page and there was no option to delete it.

Hawk wrote:
    No prob, As long as you got it out in the main forum, so members will see it.
    Deleting is easy-- just click on the [Edit] button in your thread and there you'll see [Delete Thread] at the top. And you can just put (Moved) in the [Reason for Deletion] box.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    That's ok, Not a problem. Just leave it. It won't cause any problem.