Any ideas ???

KholdKhold KY
edited April 2005 in Hardware
My comp died a couple days ago and I am stumped as to why. Sad thing is that it is only about 6 months old. System fans will work and cpu fan works, no HD activity or monitor...in other words no post. Heres the break down.

Asus a7n8x-x mobo
Athlon XP 2600+ w/ TT Volcano Super 7+
1 gig Spektek 333 (256x2) (512x1)
XFX 6600 GT (agp)
Soundblaster Live
30 gig hd
400 watt psu

Only overclock to even mention is raising the cpu multiplier to make the 2600+ run at 2800+ speed. CPU never hit 40 deg celcius. Set the memory timings at aggressive. Still wasnt a heat issue. No voltage changes or going above 333 fsb.

Heres what I have done so far...

-Cleared Cmos, numerous times.
-Removed cpu and fired it up..nothing. cpu pins are fine also.
-Taken mobo out of case and fired it up. Same thing.
-Switched processors with my brothers cpu, same XP 2600+...his didnt work in mine and mine didnt work in his Soyo Dragon Plat.
-Swapped ram out, mine worked in his and his didnt work in mine.
-My HD worked in his and his didnt work in mine.
-My vid card didnt work in his but is working fine in the cpu I am using right now, his vid card didnt work in mine.

So surely to goodness my board and proc didnt die at the SAME time ?!?! :kaka:

At a strange side note though my 400 watt psu did fry the next day...but stupid me left it on its side when I fired it up, had to move it to get to the latch holding my cpu fan on. Used on of my 350 watt psu's for testing.

Any ideas that you guys can think of please let know :help:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2005
    Sounds like your mobo is dead but your cpu may also be dead also if it's not working in his and he's got the same one as you.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Sounds like your PSU might have been the problem that started it all! Is the PSU also 6 months old?
    Never heard of a processor taking out anything, mobos can go bad and kill the processor and other things, but IMO it was the psu.

Sorry bout that dude! All I suggest is that you don't get cheap on the replacment psu; go for quality, not quantity. Hopfuly you can salvage something out of it. Good luck and keep us informed! :thumbsup:
  • ShockjockShockjock Dekalb, Illinois
    edited April 2005
    Ya, sounds like your PSU was going south, and maybe took out your MB and processor, both of which are very susceptible to large transient voltage spikes.
  • KholdKhold KY
    edited April 2005
    I got the psu the same time as I got everything else. I am just glad my vid card and ram didnt bum out on me also.
  • KholdKhold KY
    edited April 2005
    Any suggestions on a decent board replacement. I admit I bought the Asus a7n8x-x board because I couldnt beat the price and it did great up until it rolled over and died.

I was thinking about giving Abit a try somewhere along the lines of the nf7-s2. It is dual channel unlike my Asus board and the Nforce chipsets are nice. Newegg has it for 63 bucks I believe.