start-up probs with new build,can anyone help,please!

edited April 2005 in Hardware
hi to all who read this.

i built my first full computer. but of course had some problems!

first one: when i first started up i got an error message saying, 'cpu fan failure'??? do i need to set the cpu monitoring to 'auto' in bios??

second: when i went to load the operating system, it started fine, asking me if i want to format the hdd, etc etc. but all of a sudden it shut down completely?? when i started it back up(without probs, so i dont think its anythin to do with the psu), it detects the hardware, then gives me the message, 'problem loading OS'. and then it goes no futher?? in bios the bootable drive is set to 'removable'(which is the floppy). should i set this the the dvd burner and try the disc again??

any help would be great! thank lads and have a good weekend.

Comments

• edited April 2005
    Well since no one seems to be in this section lately I'll give it my best shot.

TAke the cover off your case and see for yourself if the heatsink fan is operating, what motherboard do you have? what cpu? ect.
    ok this cpu problem could be the thing thats shutting down your comp, alot of new mobo's will shutdown if the cpu gets too hot. When installing windows make sure in bios you set ur dvd/cd drive for read first or whvtr it should have priority over ur floppy yes. On msi boards I can simply get it to read off my dvd/cd burner instead of floppy disc drive.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    You did fine fishsauce. ;)

Make sure your cpu heatsink is seated correctly and the fan is running. Unless you have the fan plugged into the mobo, disable the cpu fan speed alarm in the bios.

Set you first boot device to be the dvd burnerto load your OS. Let us know what happends. :thumbsup:
  • KholdKhold KY
    edited April 2005
    Zuntar may have given you the answer you are looking for Skyline.

When I built my brothers cpu for him the cpu fan spun and then shutdown. On his Soyo Dragon Plat board all I had to do on boot up was to hold the contol key (I think) and it by-passed the cpu temp control shutdown and it booted no problem.

And do set your cd-rom to 1st boot to get your OS to load with the cd.