Bios Help Too

edited April 2005 in Hardware
I have the Biostar P4VTG motherboard, Intel P4 3.2GHZ Prescott 1mb Cache and 1GB of Centon PC3200 memory all are new when I installed them. I installed a fresh copy of windows XP with SP2 and It seems This mobo is just killing memory. I ran the Microsoft memory tester they told me to run from the Centon site to test the memory and kept getting this LRAND test failure. I turn them all in for replacement and installed paired Kingston memory for a total of 512MB at PC3200 this worked fine for a day or so then the failure messages started again. Is there somewhere to find a actual bios setup for this board as the booklet doesn't have anything for it. Plus I can only get the processor to idle at 52 to 54 degree c but will reach almost 70 degree c at loads with periodic restarts of the system. I have tried almost everything to fix the problem and I have no plan to overclock even though the board supports it. I do believe the BIOS may have some settings preset to OC but can't verify. Anyone have any Ideas how I can fix this. :kaka:
Also I have the XFX Nvidia 6600 AGP videocard with 256MB memory and I tried the latest Nvidia drivers but I will get video corruption in windows even with a fresh install. I have two CD drives one is the Mad Dog MD-16XDVD9 DVD-DL and the MAD Dog ND-52XCDRW. Installation with the DVD-DL drive will almost always end with file not found during install even when I point the drive to the file it just says it can't find it. The CDRW drive just doesn't autoplay even though it is enabled but will do it once on reboot. I am begining to think I just lost the ability to build these things or I just have one big compatibility issue here. :help:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2005
    The OS would be hard pressed to actually damage your ram. Most likely it's the mobo based on that and the other problems you are describing. You should be able to set your BIOS settings to 'default' and that should run the board as is without any tweaks. As for your video card, was it working with the drivers that it comes with?
  • edited April 2005
    Your cpu rund rather hot though. Check if the cooler sits well, prescotts run hot but not so hot. I have mine overclocked from 2.8 ->3.1 and runs idle at 38c and 54 full load. Maybe thats what is causing the damage. If Your computer resets due to the overheating of the cpu , its like suddenly cutting of the power from the ram and giving them power again in miliseconds.
  • edited April 2005
    I am using the aerocool ht-101 jr with 2 fans on a suck - blow config which helped me get to the temp i am now I use to have it as high as 65c norm and high 70's during gameplay. I went ahead and ordered some artic silver online since most stores here don't even know what I was refering to. My board support the over clock features just didn't activate any of it to my knowledge. I also upgraded to a 600w power supply to handle all power requirements.
    Mad Dog DVD-RW-DL
    Mad Dog 52x CDRW
    XFX Nvidia 6600 256mb AGP 8X
    Ultra 600w ATX PSU
    Aero Cool HT-101 Jr HS w/2 Fans
    4 case fans (2) suck in air (2) blow out air

tried the default settings but then mobo tries to boot from scsi and runs norton goback which I uninstalled months ago but for some reason is still there anythoer problem I'll have to work out later.
  • edited April 2005
    Ok call Biostar and talked to a rep. He said that my Power Supply may be supplying too much power and that I should try my old 500w out to see if I still get problems. I thought going with the 600w was a good idea and if it wasn't then why make such a large psu if ya can't use it. They also believe that the CPU temp for my type of processor was about right even recieved the same thing from Intel man this gets more confusing by the minute. Should have stuck with AMD. :yell1: