Water cooling vs Air cooling

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Ok so its way cheaper to go with fans, but when i spend half a grand by the end of april, I'll have alot of noise, ( hopefully new low noise fans will cut that down a bit) but sometimes the noise can get to me. Now supposingly water cooling with a radiator/fan thing is not so loud, especialy if I suppose you get a psu fanless thing (which is like $200-300 bucks). So my question is this, is water cooling more effecient? will it cool my system better then fans?

Comments

• edited April 2005
    Depends of witch watercooling you will buy and what is your pc set-up with fans at the moments.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    sure, you can build one urself for half the cost and make it really silent.
    what are your goals? silent computing? or OCing
  • edited April 2005
    Over clocking.. Kinda worried about leakage though, oops there goes my mobo/cpu.. :kaka:
  • edited April 2005
    Over clocking.. Kinda worried about leakage though, oops there goes my mobo/cpu.. :kaka: btw home built does sound intreging.

Any sites you know of? Or communities your appart of?
  • youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited April 2005
    sites for watercooling?
  • edited April 2005
    sites for watercooling?
    yes
    edited April 2005
    ya leaking, out of all these years, it has never happend to me, but i have heard stories :(

water leaked, power system off, try system, everyone is ok.... :)
    thats if you use distilled water.

we can give you all the info you need, whats ur budget?
  • edited April 2005
    Well if you look at my post below, then you'll get a better idea :thumbsup:
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2005
    your post below? I don't see anything. Anyway, dig through the old watercooling threads here and I think there is a fair amount of information. I know I posted a lot at one time, but I still havn't got into it.

A simple and quiet (so I've heard) solution would be to just buy the Zalman Reserator, Gnome had one. www.zalman.com It is just a big ass cylinder heatsink with a reservoir and pump inside it. It comes as a kit and might be all you need for your whole system, unless you want to cool the lesser needed items such as the hard drives, chipset, memory, etc.
  • edited April 2005
    Ok let me refine my question, anyone know of any sites that are dedicated to watercooling? Like for e.g communities like this one. And zalman is the top of the line commercial kit, which is out of the question.. I think I will try to build my own cooling kit, I'll buy the cpu block and poss. gpu/hd block online, the rest I'll do myself. If in say 5-12 months I have it built of course I'll post my awesomeness :kaka:

btw thx for those who repleyed, and its http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/eng_index.asp not Dot com.

Lol, $450 bucks for a stand up radiator, I think not.
    I looked into swiftech and they have a top o the line liquid cooler for around $318.00 ... Erghh, So expensive, would mean no dating for 6 months or something horrible like that.
    edited April 2005
    heres mine, just got it done yesterday.

i overclocked my 3000+ winnie to 2.65Ghz. room temp at idle, 40c at full load.

i think it can do more, im still testing.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2005
    dayum! Teh colors! Is that a DFI board with the 4x pci-express? Well of course it is, I just checked your sig. :) Silly me. The slightly changed design draws my attention.

So, what rad is that? And does the pump treat you well? (noise, pumps enough)
    edited April 2005
    its the rad that came with the swiftech kit, 80mm size.
    the pump is also a swiftech pump, uses 4 pin molex from the PSU.

the way i have it setup is the following.

my rad is sandwidched between 2x 80mm fans with leds, using the 3 pin power connectors.

using the DFI software, i can monitor and control the fan speeds (cpu gets hot, speed up the fans, cpu is cool, keep the rpm low)

so basicly, when im idle and browsing, 1 fan is on turning at a very slow rate and you can see a little blue light.. BUT!!!

when im gaming or benching, the fans automaticly speed up and both lights turn blue :)

the system is very quiet, those fans are only doing around 25-30dbs at max speed.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Purdddy! I'd like to set mine up like that, when I can afford it. Very nice citrix.
    (must put credit card downnnnn) lol
  • Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited May 2005
    I knew you would get a new rig sooner or later Citrix. Welcome to the DFI club ;)
    You should be able to squueze more MHz from your CPU. I know mine could do 2.6GHz easy on watercooling. It's *almost* stable at 2.6GHz just with my Zalman fan, still almost...

Fishsauce if you want to have an easy and smooth WC experience you defo should get a Swiftech kit. Just plug all those babies in and you should be fine.

When I was doing my WC, as far as I remember, I managed to flood my computer twice. Thankfully first time the rig was offline :rolleyes:

Second time though.. I noticed one of the hoses slipping off a barb slowly and steadily and got the bright idea to just fix it with my raw muscle strength while the rig was on, well it went the opposite way and from a few drops of water turned into a mild shower going ... right for the molex power connectors at my hard drives, somehow though I managed to cut the power fast enough. Then used a blowdryer to take care of the prob, everything was fine.

Although maybe I haven't fried my rig thanks to using distilled water? Duno, maybe distilled water + reflexes = computer survives :thumbsup: