HP All in one printer and Blue Screen

ricerice Pennsylvania
edited April 2005 in Hardware
I recently purchased an HP PSC 1350 all in one printer. I installed (USB) and everything worked great. I rebooted and imediately got a blue screen and automatic reboot. To get Windows XP to load I had to go to "Last Kown Good Hardware Configuration". Once I got Windows to load I tried to reinstall the Printer. I had a heck of a time and finally had to call HP support (India). The lady was very helpful. We removed all the remnants of the last install and reinstalled it. It worked great. I rebooted and got the blue screen again.

The lady told me I had to go into the bios and change the USB legacy support to "NO BOOT".

The problem is that I don't have such an option. She told me to contact the manufacturer. That's not much of a choice since this is an older board. It's a Syntax 266A (I don't remember the whole number, I'm at work now). I know this board sucks but I had to use it when the capacitors on my KT7RAID board leaked. I checked the support site for Syntax but they don't have any answers. I also have the latest bios.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas other than disabling the onboard USB support and buying a PCI card?

Thanks.

Comments

• verselloversello New
    edited April 2005
    Wow, I'm surprised she had you go into your BIOS... most of the time after they have you do a reinstall, and it doesn't work, they'll just blame it on your computer's manufacturer.

What service pack do you have on Windows XP, and have you also installed your motherboard's chipset drivers (VIA 4-in-1 / Hyperion drivers). I'm not sure if that includes this USB filter driver that I've seen with most via-based motherboards, but you may want to check on that too.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    What vers said may fix it, if not try the following.......
    Not that it would help with curing the problem, but See if it boots without the printer plugged into usb.
    I just went through a reboot problem with another member and if he unplugged the usb device it booted fine. Then the usb device can be plugged back in after boot and it runs fine. Maybe a fix until you get your good mobo back.
    Some mobo's have this usb problem.
  • verselloversello New
    edited April 2005
    Oh yeah, and I just picked up an HP PSC 2355 printer last night, since we're on the topic of HP PSC's. It's pretty nice. :drinkup:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Niiice! We have the PSC 2410xi. Got it a couple of yrs ago. It's been a great all in one printer.
    I won't get anything but HP for printers. Had to setup a few other brands for people and some are a bear to get right. Then you have to figure out how to use the software! HP's are simple to set up and user friendly.
  • ricerice Pennsylvania
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I"m on XP SP2. I did install the VIA 4 in 1 drivers. I'm not sure if the USB filter is included in that or not. I'll have to check. I believe I used the lastest drivers as of a couple of months ago.

I did try unplugging it during boot and that didn't work. I think it has something to do with ICE 2.6. I think that's HP's USb driver /emulator they use.

I do really like the printer. It's great to make copies of something without using your computer. It prints great too.

I did notice one think though. I had a old HP 855C. The new cartidges are half the price but have a quarter of the ink. Just FYI.