frequent moniter shut downs

edited April 2005 in Hardware
i built my computer about 2 months ago. the vga i purchased was a 9800 pro. i dont remember if it touched the carpet but that was the excuse i had when nothing came up on the moniter. i returned it for another 9800 pro. while i was waiting for it to come in i borrowed my friends nvidia geforce 3ti500. its a peice but everything worked perfectly. when i got the 9800, before i could even install the driver, the moniter would shut off. it was very aggrivating. i looked it up and realized that quite a number of others were having the same problem. i concluded that it was the catalyst so i returned the 9800 and switched over to nvidia. i purchased a 6600gt. i installed it and it was working fine. i was relieved. then it happened again. and again. it wasnt as bad as the 9800. the 9800 would turn off the moniter in max. 5 minutes. what do i do...

intel p4 3.2 ht
nvidia geforce 6600gt
samsung 120gb
sony 32x cd/rw
thermaltake xaserV gaming tower ( 5 fans )
Thermaltake CL-P0024 4 in 1 HeatPipe Cooler
Thermaltake A2266 90mm CPU Fan, Combo Cool DIY Series-StarForce Fan
Thermaltake TrueLight Memory Heat Spreader
aspire 500W ps
epox 4plai mobo
crucial pc3200 512mb

i turned off hardware acceleration and disabled write combining....thats the only way that i could make this post

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Have you checked your power options settings in control panel?
    Also, Check the hibernate settings.
    poweroptions6nx.jpg
  • edited April 2005
    Hawk wrote:
    Have you checked your power options settings in control panel?
    Also, Check the hibernate settings.
    poweroptions6nx.jpg

all of that kind of stuff has been done before. i changed the stuff in the bios that has to do with power also. it says im feeding 1.48 V to the agp if that helps. dont worry the moniter is hooked up properly so that isnt the problem...anything else??? * kneels and begs * its driving me insane
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    When the moniter shuts off what do you have to do to get it to turn back on? (reset the monitor or reset the PC?)
    Do you have another monitor you can try?
    Have you checked out or messed with the power options in the bios?

If you have had this problem with several cards, then I am inclined to say there is another issue at play there. Something is not right w/ the monitor (my guess) or something is not right software/driver wise (maybe) or possibly the motherboard (not likely, but not impossible).

I would swap monitors w/ another PC and see your monitor does the same thing w/ their PC.

Let me know what you think / find out!!!
  • edited April 2005
    i have to reset the pc. and the moniter works on other computers. it works on my old school emachines and on my first pc. ive messed around with bios settings. ive been reading other forums for the past week and have tried alot but the problem is still existant. last night i upped the hardware acceleration by a little. write combining is still disabled and ive been able to use the computer until now. no problems...but im still afraid. i would like it to be guaranteed that i can pull out the full potential of my card w/o any moniter shut downs.

oh and i dont have another moniter to try.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Your running an Intel system with nVidia graphics, so I'm kind of out of place with these. I run all AMD's with ATI graphics. So, I'll refer this to the Intel, nVidia guys here.
    One thing though,You say you upped the acceleration a little and it has been running ok. Did you try running full acceleration on it now that it's been running ok? I've got 3 pc's and they are all at full acceleration.
    Also, The fastwrite can cause buffer problems, and I assume that's why you turned them off. But, Did you know that fastwrites do not turn off until you restart the pc after turning them off.
    here's a little something I found. Don't know if it will help at all...
    Detecting a Stall Due to Exceeding Write Combining Store Buffers
    If the performance of a threaded application is degraded or not benefiting much from Hyper-Threading Technology as compared to the same application run on a single-threaded processor, it could be due to exceeding the write combining buffer capacity. The Intel VTune™ Performance Analyzer can help determine whether this is true.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2005
    Reflecting what Zuntar said, I would say the motherboard could be the factor very easily. All my problems about not seeing stuff on the screen have been related to motherboards, has happened to me a few (maybe 4 boards) times on about 2 different kinds of boards. It has never been anything else for me. All I can say is that motherboards are finicky, even in todays day and age.
  • edited April 2005
    well...it could be it...but when i had the geforce3ti500 there was no problem

-antialiasing off, still a problem
    -tweaking power options, still a problem
    -disabled hyper threading, still a problem
    -disable hardware acceleration, still a problem
    -disable write combining, no problem!
    -enabled write combining, problem?
    -disabled, no problem.....could that be it? what is write combining again?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Yep, That's got to be it then. With Hyperthreading it causes a buffer to exceed the write combining buffer capacity. Just keep it off and you'll be ok.
    Here's a link that explains it.....Hyper-Threading Technology & write combining store buffers
    And don't forget to put your Graphics acceleration back to full speed ahead.
  • edited April 2005
    hyper threading is disabled. write combining is off. hardware acceleration is maxed. and its beautiful! * tear thank you all for all of your help. i appreciate it greatly
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Glad we could help. Thnx for posting back and letting us know how it turned out. :thumbsup: