WinXP - "Unable to Move File - In Use"

HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I posted about this before. My WinXP Home machine has trouble moving files, because it thinks that they are "In Use" - even though they are NOT in use, have not BEEN in use, and have even just THEN showed up on machine. Never did find a cure.

MOVING FILES AROUND

The link is to a short screen capture movie, encoded DivX 5.0. What you see is in "My Computer" I insert my Thumb Drive, open it, and try to MOVE a file to another folder. I try this twice, fails both times.

THEN - I try "Right-Click" - drag to Desktop, select MOVE HERE. That works, but I cancel it to try another thing.

THEN - I try to "MOVE TO" the Desktop - that FAILS.

This is NOT a thumb drive problem. I can do it with ANY movie file, anywhere. I can do it RIGHT AFTER booting machine, never even OPENED a movie file. I used the thumb drive to demonstrate that the file WAS NOT and COULD NOT have been in use.

I have never seen it happen with a picture or a document.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2005
    that's just bizzare and it only happens with movie files? What about mp3's. Hmmm do you have windows media player set to organize media files? I'm just shooting at straws but seems to be the common factor. Try this install an alternate media player or even media player classic. Then go and associate avi and mpg files with a different media player and see if that makes a difference. Also check your setting in Windows Media player and look if it's set to keep track and organize your files.
  • HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
    edited April 2005
    I THOUGHT you'd like the video. :)

I don't have MediaPlayer set to do ANYTHING automaticly - if it can be turned off.

I DO have MediaPlayer Classic (K-Lite Codec Pack), but use MP cause it seems to handle large file better.

Don't know about MP3s.... dont move them much anymore.

I just open both windows now, or if I can not move a file....I move it to desktop, THEN move it where I want to. Idiot box. :fu:
    edited April 2005
    I like regular media player better because I'm lazy. I do have files though that will play in Media Player Classic that won't in regular Media Player.

But that's the only thing I can think of is that Media Player is doing something as soon as it starts up that's locking those files.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited April 2005
    Or explorer wanting to start the "What do you want to do?" menu but never actually getting that far...

Issues like this typically get chalked up to data corrpution and I reinstall/reimage. Problems always seem to magically disappear after a format. :p Usually spend less time with the reinstall then I would trying to figure out the problem (and in some cases never actually getting it resolved and having to reinstall anyway).
    edited April 2005
    There is a lot of truth in that reformat instead of fix. However it's sometimes worth the headache to try and solve the problem becuase in many cases it's a simple fix - you just have to find it.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited April 2005
    have you tried Move On Boot ?

LIN
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Very interesting program LIN. Never knew such a proggy existed. And free too.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited April 2005
    Hawk, i've downloaded it - you never know when something will stop being free; but i haven't had a need to use it ... yet! wonder if it'll help HOB. i know others who've had success with it.

LIN
  • verselloversello New
    edited April 2005
    I've had that happen to me a few times. I believe it's something with Windows trying to preview it (thumbnail), or if you had folder list with detailes view, configured for media, it would try to read the dimensions, bitrate, etc.

Best thing to do is wait it out, or boot to console :p