Should I get new memory?

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Okay, I have 2 sticks of Corsairs XMS 512mb C2 (the platinum color if that matters to you). I was shocked to find the same memory nearly half price of what I remember last time I checked. Here is what I am looking at. Would you upgrade from 1 to 2 GB? Could latency increase? (like I'd notice anyway :rolleyes: ) If I got this it would max out my 4 slots and I would never upgrade to 1GB sticks, that would have to wait until the next ordinateur.

One more question, what is New Egg up to here? There is a reason why I like my googlegear so much better. Yes, I still call it googlegear, it's just a better name.

To show a price comparison: Last time I checked 1 stick of 512MB cost $121

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Most people would never notice the differance between 1gb and 2gb total ram unless you found crfeative ways to use the extra ram
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2005
    say umm... photoshop?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    O M G TEX was in Da House!!!
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    yagga wrote:
    say umm... photoshop?

Yes MOST users will not notice it in photoshop based on what the AVERAGE user might use photoshop for.

I said MOST people. Not ALL people.

Read closely and you can follow along without looking like a dick.

I run Oracle databases on my home rig. But again thats not something MOST users do. Yes I can tell the differance but MOST USERS couldnt.

95 percent of the XP computers in the world functioning today will not feel much faster to the USERS going from 512mb to 1gb of ram much less 1gb to 2gb based on what the user usually is using the computer for 99 percent of the time.

Tex
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Read closely and you can follow along without looking like a dick.

Tex

i appreciate you posting at icrontic tex, but was that comment really necessary?

i dont think he was threatning you in any way. :kaka:
  • Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited May 2005
    Well, you certainly can feel a difference going from 512 to 1GB in games, especially MMORPGs. From 1GB to 2GB you probably won't feel much unless, as Tex said you find creative ways to use the extra space.

I know of one use which is loading the Windows core into RAM. Go to regedit, then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management. Add a DWORD subkey by the name DisablePagingExecutive and value of 1. Although I'm pretty sure 1GB ram is enough to do just that as well.

Don't blame me if something goes wrong, do this on your own responsibilty ;)