Crap...not Again

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited April 2005 in Hardware
About a yr ago my PC went kuput and we here decided it was the PSU...and it was...i got some research done, however my budget was cramped and i went cheap....

Now it is toast...and i am down again...SOOOO

Looking to buy another but give in and take the name brand....here is what im thinking...

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=17-104-968&depa=0

Its a little steep but i need one that works....anyone know of one around $50

ANy other suggestions....going to buy somethingin the morn so hope yah check this soon..lol

TIA

BUD

Comments

• budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited April 2005
    HMMM..was price comparing and came up w/ this...can someone tell me the difference...seams like they are the same?

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103489&ATT=Power+Supplies&CMP=OTC-17exta6
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    This is one of the most important parts of your pc. So, That said, I wouldn't skimp on it, by getting a low-end PS. You can still get a very decent PS fairly inexpensive.
    Here's a Mid-High End PS that's supposed to be very reliable..And this site has them on sale.... directron.com
    Here's a real nice article written up on PS comparisons and it's a great guide for power supply buying... xtremesystems.org
    Hope this helps.
    edited April 2005
    Super flower is not one of the "Name Brands" anyone has told me about....and yes...this is quite resonanable...

hmmmm
    edited April 2005
    Hawk,

Its not on the list at that web site you mentioned either....You have it?

Anyone?

However the sparkle one is....man i would like to save my 25 and get the other though but not going to go cheap if cant get some props for the cheap one....

What to do...what to do....
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited April 2005
    SuperFlower (aka TTGI) is a pretty good psu IMHO. I've had several TTGI's and SuperFlower and not 1 ever quit on me. Stable rails and a decent price makes the SuperFlower (TTGI) a good deal.

The Fortron 530w is an awsome psu. I have it right now in my P4. Xcellent rails and adjustable VR's inside make the Fortron the ocer's favorite :cool: .

The SuperFlower has 1 single VR inside to adjust the 12v/5v rails. No VR for the 3.3v rail tho. An easy mod if you'd like to have control of your voltages.

If money is an issue, go for the SuperFlower. If you can squeeze a little more then go for the Fortron. Both psu's are very reliable.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    It's a good one believe me. I'm running a 520W triple fan TTGI (superflower) in one of my rigs now. And AMD reccomends it for their systems--- AMD Worldwide
    The following list of power supplies manufacturers can be referenced as an example of those whose product has been evaluated by AMD for use with AMD Athlon™ MP processors for the given power supply form factor.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    sorry, I'm doing parerwork right now and had to change the last thread twice! To make it sound right. lol
    edited April 2005
    Well...i may regret i really wanted the FSP but just cant swing the extra 25....so went w/ the superflow....hopefully it last longer than a yr....

Thx guys for all your input and help....just clicked the buy button....
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I assure you, it will last more than a yr.
    The reason many haven't heard of Super Flower is, they're in Taipei,Taiwan.
    They sell all over the world. here's thier link for you to check out what they make.Super Flower Computer
    They make some pretty nice stuff.
  • edited April 2005
    Since you tend to burn PSu i would reccomend you to buy the thermaltake purepower 489 w/ active pfc.
    http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W0026.htm

this PSU rocks
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'll give you fair warning on ThermalTake power supplys. About 2-3 mnths ago, I bought 3 TT PS's- 1- 480W & 2- 420W units and 2 out of 3 had problems. Didn't realize pins were loose and falling out of brand new unit, and it fried MB,Ram,& CPU! Then switching parts around to find out what was good and what was bad, I lost a 2nd MB.....luckily the 2nd one was an old MB I had setting around. So, If you buy TT..make sure you check it out 100% before putting it in your machine.
    Also had a friend tell me he found the wiring on one plug not in the order they should be. The ground was wrong on it.
    I would suggest testing all plugs with a power tester and tugging each individual wire lightly to see that they are connected securely. I check all PS's I buy now, no matter what brand. You never know when the person putting them together, just had a hard party weekend! Or, Just insn't paying attention when running the machines for assembly. I'm still running 2 of the TT PS's, but I took all my machines apart and did a full test and tug of each one to be sure not to have anymore mobo's fried. Just my 2 cents.
  • edited April 2005
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148012

here is a very good psu that my friend got hes running a

3.0ghz p-4 @ 3.6ghz
    2 sata hard drives
    2 optical drives
    1 gig of ram
    3 80mm fans
    1 120mm fan
    6800gt

and it runs great plus has a bunch of special features that you dont see on many other power supplies plus get a free 120mm fan
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    aspire.comptech, You didn't read the article review @ xtremesystems.org that I posted above.. This article on good-bad Ps's is recomended by tech proffesionals. They have either tested all the PS's or followed reccomendations from other test reviews from reputable sites that have tested them..
    Aspire PS's are on their list of Un-reccomended and Unscrupulous Power Supply Companies. Check it.
    edited April 2005
    ouch..lol...

Ruthless hawk...ruthless...but honest and thats y we come here..
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    bud, Thnx for pointing that out. I didn't realize it sounded like that. Maybe I need to clarifiy a bit. I just want to make sure that any info given out here is correct and the members -(If they do give out advice) are well informed to give it. It's a learning curve, I know, but we can conquer it. I've still got a long way to go on that learning curve myself. lol And I think we all have to keep on learning with the technology changing so fast.

aspire.comptech, I didn't mean to sound like I was rippin you friend. Just wanted you to be informed by checkin the article. It's just that power supplys are (in my opinion) one of the most important parts of your pc. And that's something you should be very careful buying. I make that statement through experience. I had 2 power supplys burn up on me and lost 2 motherboards, an AMD XP 3200+ CPU, 1GB- OCZ DDR PC-3200 / 400MHz / Revision 3 / Performance Series Dual Channel, and 1GB of Kingston 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM 3-3-3 Dual Channel. So, When it comes to power supplys--I've got a little itch, so to speak. Hope I didn't offend you.
    edited April 2005
    AHHHHHHHHHH

SMOKE>>>

STINCH>>>>

NOOOOOOOOOO

I got that SF in and fired it up and ....well...it fired it up alright....smoke and flames...literally.....

Think my MB is fried? lol.....oh no...i cant take this....

Going to relocate to other heading now....because i think this has turned from a PSU thing to now a MB thing....lol....

man this isnt funny but if i dont laugh...the sucker is going out the window...

looking for suggestions on MB's and want to buy it tomarrow......Thx all...

PS..will post pics of frier too.....
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    You've got to have something shorting out elsewhere in the case or when it died before the motherboard was bad. That new PS has over voltage protection, Short circuit protection on all output levels.
    Durn man, I'm sure sorry to hear you got more fried parts.
    I went through this same thing about 2 mnths ago until I figured out which parts were bad.
    edited April 2005
    so what...disconnect all and put them in one at a time?

I really dont understand what you mean by something else shorting out....if the MB went ....is that it?

I dont want to go through another...

I have some old ones here...is there a way to test it?

Bud
    edited April 2005
    PS...my other post w/ pics is...

http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?t=6318
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Hey bud, You were saying that the article at xtremesystems.org didn't have the TTGI Superflowers on the list. If you look at page 4 on the thread, the guy that did the article was asked if they were good and he said yes --very good and he would be adding them to the list. Just so you know I wasn't leading you on.
    So, That said, Did you test the power supply before you hooked it up and turned it on?
    Even if I bought a $200 PS, I would still test it. Not saying that's what burned up the mobo, but it's always good to check them. And you never explained why the system went down the last time, a yr ago. Did you take it apart and inspect everything closely? Did you test out the individual parts on another system or just replace the PS and turn it on? Was the old PS burnt? Or, Did the system just shut down? Mobo could have fried and taken the PS with it. Then when you put a new PS on it, it shorted out more and maybe taken the new PS with it again. Check the VGA slot to see if that was burnt. It's hard to guess from here. I would get a tester and test the old PS to see if it's not working. Not to mention, I'd test the newer one now too, if you haven't. The tester is only $14 and you can test every plug on the PS with it. You know the mobo's fried, so you need to take all the parts out and test them one at a time on another system. Not only your vid card, cpu, ram, but test out the harddrives,cd roms dvd roms. Everything. One at a time. Inspect them very close for minute burns or shorted areas. Take the bad mobo out and check the screw areas for shorted burns. Examine all places where the plugs were on the harddrives, cd roms, dvd drives etc.
    Put the ram in another system and run memtest on it.
    I know your in a hurry to get the system back up, but you need to find out what is good and what is bad before you just drop all the parts back in a new mobo.
    Sorry I didn't answer you earlier, I was out for a few hrs.
    edited April 2005
    Your cool hawk....

Didnt blame u at all....

Have you been reading my other post....guy mentioned my capicitor was leaking...you see that?

I dont have another system...thats one of the probs...except the LT i am using now...and there is no playing w/ that...

Going to take the PSU to work w/ me and see if the IT guys have a tester...

The old tester was defitnatley shot....one of the fans was dead stuck...barely couldl move it w/ a pen...

the other would just twitch a yr ago....

Was wandering if you minded some PM's ...

Let me know
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Yep, I saw the stain on it and how the capacitors were a little bulgey. Didn't know if that was from heat overload shorting or if they were just going bad. If they're bulging like that I would agree with prime. The mobo was dead man walking when you tried to fire it up. Hehe. Hopefully the PSU is ok. I'll move over to the mobo thread now too.
    edited April 2005
    thx....all....old mobo up and going and PSU fine...

THREAD CLOSED