Internet stops working on workstations with static IP adresses

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Hello Everyone,

I have a couple of workstations I need to access remotely, so I set them up with a static IP address. When I do this, after a few minutes of surfing on the web with those machines, it can't access the web anymore. If I change to a different DNS, another IP or reboot, it will start working again but eventually stops. BUT, if i set it to DHCP it works fine. I rebooted my firewall and router. Nothing. I'm stomp! Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Welcome to Icrontic Itran. Hope you enjoy the site.
    Are you running any of these-- PC-cillin, OfficeScan (including the OfficeScan component of Client/Server Suite for SMB, and Client/Server/Messaging Suite for SMB), and ServerProtect for NT?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2005
    do you have your network segmented between static and dynamic IP rangers? For example do you just have your DHCP server set to full DHCP across all ranges or do you have it set to only start assigning DHCP addresses from the .100 range and up for example? In which case any static IP that you assign has to be below the .100 range. If you are assigning static IP addresses within the DHCP range then you will encouter this kind of problem as IP leases will often get confused.

Also when you are putting the DNS entries in for the static clients are you putting in just the DNS's for your IP provider or are you putting in the router as the first entry for the DNS. If you are don't, that will work if you are running an actual domain server but if you are just using a router then it's of no function and can cause problems since it won't resolve correctly.
  • edited April 2005
    Thanks for the quick replay guys. Hawk, I don't have any of those program. Only thing like it is Symantec Anti-virus. kryyst, I do have the network segmented. The static IPs im assigning are outside the DHCP scope. The only thing that gets me is that it will work for a bit and than stops. Anyways..I think I've got a workaround. I've changed to another DNS and its been constant for a couple of hours now. Let's hope it stays that way. But if anyone has any idea why this is, Please let me know.