ISP / IP blacklisted?

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Does anybody know what this means and what it does. I remember a site or two a while back that for some random reason said my isp was blacklisted, and I have no idea why, it wouldn't let me in. Now I just checked my ip number on the web to see what it says, and it says "blacklisted: Listed".

I don't have a clue as to what this thing is, but I know I didn't do anything to cause it purposely.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Where did you check that?

Who is your ISP?
  • verselloversello New
    edited April 2005
    Back in my IRC days, I would get blacklisted messages... not necessarily because I did anything, but because others with the same ISP would do lame shit. Not much you can do.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2005
    well what exactly qualifies you to be black listed?

I just went scavenging around at whois.sc or something like that, don't know if that means anything coming from them.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2005
    Gernally people can just submit your ip to a blacklist list and there is nothing you can do about it. Now normally they'll do it because of spam but some people are just pricks. You can then apply to most places to get your name off the blacklist page but it's a huge pain in the ass.

If you aren't actually being effected by it don't worry about it.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2005
    okay, but what exactly does it stop me from doing? It doesn't seem to be an issue, but I just want to know.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    If there is a site that subscribes to the particular blacklist list it'll stop you from going there or sending emails to it.