P4C800 E-Deluxe board/bios trouble

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
No matter how many times I reset the bios it works (usually) the first time after reset, but upon the next restart I don't see anything on the screen and have to reset the cmos again. This happened to this severity once before and I can't remember what I did to finally get it working, luck I think. Anyway, this happened after I upgraded the bios to v.21 to see if the raid would function again, which it hasn't for a LOOONG time. This HAS happened before on different bios versions, so v.21 is not to blame. It always says "overclock failed, press F1 ... or F2..." and I havn't overclocked this in a long time, because I eventually always get problems like this that take forever to fix. I don't know, this is my 3rd board over the last 2 years, why am I so unlucky? Or am I doing something wrong, which I doubt?

Ideally, I would want an RMA, but I need to figure out how asus works now, I had trouble navigating their support/rma service last time, which was innitially for the raid absence problem. I havn't got the raid to work in over a year, so I know something is wrong, I've just been living with it because I couldn't figure out the support from asus mostly, plus I didn't want to be without it for 2 weeks.

I just don't understand why I've had so much trobuble with the P4C800 E-Deluxe when everyone else seems to say it's the best one for northwoods.

Comments

• edited May 2005
    i had about the same problem with this mobo. Check if you have the Turbo mode ON. If you have it put it on Auto. When i try to put it on Turbo it doeasn`t work and the says overclocking failed.
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited May 2005
    Hey yagga, have you tried swapping/replacing the cmos battery?
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    Nebulous wrote:
    Hey yagga, have you tried swapping/replacing the cmos battery?
    no

and to airog69, it is set to auto, I have also turned it off to make sure auto doesn't mess it up. It's kind of weird though, because I used to have it on turbo all the time without a single problem, but for a while now I have to have it off.
  • edited May 2005
    Well, check if the time in the bios is correct (i mean put at correct and see if it stays correct next time it shows you the message). If it`s not correct that means that you need to replace the batt and that may be the problem.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    RMAd.

But regarding the battery, I have to reset the bios EVERY time I shut down the computer inorder for it to post again. This is EVERY time I shutdown regardless of any other factor, as long as I see something on the screen and electricity is flowing through the components, if I in anyway shutdown/restart/unplug/etc. from any location (windows/bios/etc.) I have to reset the cmos. Now that I have cleared that up (no pun intended), I still was lost to what the problem really was.

Problems:
    (original annoyance) No RAID support (has 4 sata and 2 IDE for RAID) -lived without for over a year :eek:
    (recent annoyance) Post problems/bios problems
    (new problem) No internet support with onboard ethernet, like the board thinks it's the non deluxe version? It is the correct bios, have tried different versions with no luck.

As first said, board mailed today, supposed to get to Asus Tuesday. If Asus holds the board for 14 days like they say if will be back on May 26, but probably sooner.

If anyone thinks they know other boards of about equal or greater quality/features/stability/NON FINICKYNESS I would love for them to be shared. I could sell my rma board and get a different one.