Reinstall XP

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I am having some issues w/ my pc...now when i try to boot i can get to a point where it asks me about safe modes and stuff...

I am wandering what would happen if i reinstall xp over the old?\\

WIll i loose my data?

Bud

Comments

• HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
    edited May 2005
    You CAN do a 'repair install'. Just boot off of the CD as usual, do NOT go to the REPAIR CONSOLE. Before it installs - it will detect the old install and ask if you want to do a fresh install or REPAIR. Select that.

You will NOT lose any of your files. I have NO IDEA what it does to Windows Updates.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    It puts the system back to it's original OS level so most windows updates will have to be redone.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited May 2005
    Halo

so ur saying dont hit "R"....hit enter...

Ok ...then it asks about the partitions and wants me to pick a fromat...if i do this wont it erase my data?

Bud
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    The first prompt as the disk boots in will say do you want to install windows - press enter or do a repair install - press R.

At that prompt hit enter for a new install. Then tell it where you want to install windows and it will detect that windows is already installed on that drive and ask if you want to do a repair install.

If you can't find that option try again do not delete the windows partition or follow any prompts that ask you to format that partition. If you do you will loose everything on it. Just go back start over and check options as they come up.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited May 2005
    i got issues...now i cant even get the damn thing to load....like my drive is froze....the screen is stuck on the ide search just after the mem check on start up...my dvd drive lights are on...but cant get the danm thing to spit out my xp cd...

GRRRRR
  • HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
    edited May 2005
    You have heat problems, or loose/bad cables maybe. Try removing all plugs, once at a time, and re-insering them. Do the same for the memory.

Be sure all fans are running, and vents/heatsinks are not clogged with dust.