Slow Start Up

Junior48Junior48 Australia
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
How does one know how many programmes are running on your computer.
My computer takes over five minutes to start up and nearly as long to shut down.
Junior
Be nice I don't know much about computers :) :help: :help:

Comments

• verselloversello New
    edited May 2005
    Press CRTL + ALT + DEL keys simultaneously, and then click on Task Manager.

At the bottom right you'll see "Processes" and a number...a healthy computer IMO should be around 30.

To see the name of these processes, click on the Processes tab.
  • edited May 2005
    Number of programs on your taskbar take up a lot of system resources. They get started during start up. Use msconfig to reduce the number of start up programs.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    Not to mention if your desktop is full of icons it will take longer to load as well.

Some other things you should probably do is run scandisk and a defrag a fragmented (or worse damaged) harddrive will have a huge impact on system speed, especially at startup and shutdown.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited May 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    Not to mention if your desktop is full of icons it will take longer to load as well. --
    now why is that? aren't the desktop icons and programs both on C:\ ? i'm just wondering what difference it makes. :confused:

LIN
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    LIN wrote:
    now why is that? aren't the desktop icons and programs both on C:\ ? i'm just wondering what difference it makes. :confused:

LIN

Because it has to draw the icons and keep track of them. It actually effects everything so if you open close a window it'll be slower drag a window - anything you do that effects the desktop will be slower with the more icons you have on it.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited May 2005
    i see. okay. much obliged, kryyst :thumbsup:

LIN