New schtuff from Newegg

drowddrowd Texas
edited May 2005 in Hardware
newegg.parts.jpg

what does everyone think? any comments? good prices? good combo? btw, i already have some extra mushkin 2-2-2 1T 3200 hi-perf ram (a gig is gonna go in here). i am really hoping good things, i have heard these venice cores oc like biotches and run super cool. some dudes are saying they can hit 2.8-3.0 ghz straight out of bios on air. anyway, im pumped. what size PSU should i get? i was thinking ~480 watts. its prolly gonna have 4 hard drives, so that should be enough, yeah? also, im gonna pick up this case from frys, what do you all think?( Antec Super Lanboy ). i thought long and hard about getting the SLI dfi lanparty, but A) there is no way i will come into the kind of money i will need to have two of the cards i want. even the 6600 GTs are pretty pricey if you have to buy two of them. B) i can always mod this board to support it (or so citrix tells me). so for now, i think im gonna stick with my 9800 pro with a vid card upgrade in the not so distant future. ill post lots of pics as i am putting it together so ill keep you updated :D

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Uhm, how....you have a 9800 pro agp, right?

that mobo doesn't have an agp slot... right? Am i missing sompthin?

BTW, that is the mobo/ processor combo I tentatively picked out, i just don't have the bucks for a new vid card as well.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited May 2005
    yeah, thats right. so i guess in the sooner future than i implied in my post. But yeah, i will be getting a PCI Express vid card fairly shortly. also, as i was making this thread, i realized i ordered the wrong HSF. i meant to get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103144

I already emailed support about it. does anyone see any problems with the coolermaster hyper 6 fitting in this dfi board?
    edited May 2005
    I Have the hyper 6 on my system now. The general layout of the DFI your lookin at is exactly like my MSI socket 754 and I had minor issues with MSI not sticking to the 754 standards, but..... just a little dremeling and it was a non issue. DFI has had plenty of time to get it right, so you probably will be fine.
  • youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited May 2005
    man, everybody seems to have a DFI lanparty
  • verselloversello New
    edited May 2005
    Damn. You're jumping on the 939 w/ PCI Express bandwagon. I'm going to hold off, although I am very tempted.
    man, everybody seems to have a DFI lanparty

For a good reason!
  • edited May 2005
    drowd wrote:
    newegg.parts.jpg

what size PSU should i get? i was thinking ~480 watts. :D

I think you should be getting 550w. Little bit more power doesn`t harm anyone. Also get brand name PSU. Don`t go cheap. I would recommend Antec,Thermaltake, OCZ or Vantec
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    why upgrade when amd is switching sockets by mid 06?
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited May 2005
    cuz mid 06 is a year away and i prolly give my computer a major upgrade about once a year!
  • verselloversello New
    edited May 2005
    Even if AMD switched, the 939 platform will still prolly be viable at least a year after. Socket 754 has been retired not too long ago, but it still has some power.

And so this is the wonderful world of constant upgrading we live in.
    edited May 2005
    You will NEVER will the war on ugrading!! :rolleyes: Its just fun trying!! :cool:

Gnome: Tell me more about this switching sockets by mid 06. PLEASE!!
  • edited May 2005
    i really wouldnt reccomend that case
    looks ok but with just 2 120mm fans you just wont get the cooling that beast needs
    look at a lian li case or a thermaltake

my aspire x-infinity has 4 80mm fans and 1 120mm fan plus 2psu fans and hsf and vid card fan so i have hella fans and my stuff stays pretty cool for the oc's i have
    my 1.8ghz p-4 now @ 2.2 runs idle at about 110F. or about 40C
    but that case is really overpriced and isnt really that nice
    took a look at one online but as soon as i went to frys to look at it i realized it really isnt that nice and is kinda flimsy
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
  • edited May 2005
    Up to about 3400+ the socket 754s are faster than the compairable s939 chips anyway. After that and now with these new dual core chips socket 939 is where its at.

The 939 motherboards seem to have a much healthier market too which is always good for geeks with too much money :)
    edited May 2005