Opinions on Sony laptops

edited May 2005 in Hardware
So, I'm going to college in a few months, and I'm going to need a new computer for it. I'm really interested in laptops, obviously because they are portable, and I was wondering if any of you have had good or bad experiences with Sony laptops. Everything that I've bought from Sony before has been reliable, but I've never had a Sony computer.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    Generally they are reliable, they are small and you pay for it through the nose.
  • verselloversello New
    edited May 2005
    Kryyst is right on all accounts. They're small, reliable and you pay not only through the nose, but with your left pinky and next child.

I purchased a Vaio T-140 two months ago or so, and it is one of the most well-builty quality laptop I have ever... touched. But it was more expensive than others. Whereas this cost me $1800, a similar specced laptop from Dell would have cost around ~$1300 (but the smallest from Dell is 12" I think, whereas the Sony is 10")

Oh yeah, their customer support is generally pretty bad. Worse than other notebook retailers (I haven't come across any good ones yet). So if you're not too computer savvy, and if it breaks down, you will have a hard time trying to get it fixed... but then again, Sony comps are pretty reliable, so you may not have to make any lengthy customer support calls.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    sell them at work, over priced POS
  • verselloversello New
    edited May 2005
    sell them at work, over priced POS

Thank you for explaining why they're "POS".
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I'm not familiar with laptops except for reading about them. That said... I posted a news article on the front page for those that are interested. It's from PC World, and you can pick which laptops your interested in and do a side by side comparison to see which you like the best for performance & price.
    Hope this helps.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I work on laptops just about every day. For support, I like Dells... for cost with good reliability... HP (Compaq). I bought a Compaq Presario R3000 after x-mas. It was $1200 and kicks the crap out of just about any laptop. It's an AMD 64 3200+ with 64MB NVIDIA 440 GO Video. Nice 15" wide screen display...

It rocks.

As for Sony's... bad driver support (tough to find correct drivers), service stinks, everything is integrated on the MB so when the NIC dies, the MB is toast too. Parts are expensive, and their warrantee is very slim (30 days if you forget to return the warrantee card, 1 year with card?).

IBM's are the best mainstream laptop for durability and support, but they cost more than Sony's...