computer freezes when trying to burn cd!!

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hey everyone, I guess I will start with my computer stats.

HARDWARE
- AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB
- CHAINTECH 7NIL1 Socket A NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Micro ATX
- THERMALTAKE Silent PurePower TT-420AD(DUAL FAN) ATX 420W
- GeIL Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
- CHAINTECH Geforce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP
- SAMSUNG TS-H352A/WBGH Black IDE DVD-ROM
- SAMSUNG TS-H292A/WBGH Black IDE CD Burner
SOFTWARE
- Windows XP SP2
- Ahead Nero Burning ROM v6.603 Ultra Edition

So anyways, I have been using the computer for 3 months now and have finally decided to burn a cd. When using Nero to burn an audio cd, it starts off good by calculating the tracks and all and then when it finally starts to burn, the computer pretty much just freezes. It doesnt exactly freeze because I can still move the cursor around but it takes 5 seconds for the cursor to comprehend that the mouse is moving.... When I press alt+ctrl+del it shows that the the cpu at 100%. Also, if i do remove the nero process, the computer is still in the freeze mode using 100% of the cpu. I tried to see if any of the other user processes was conflicting with Nero making the computer freeze but if i remove all of the user processes, even explore, the cpu is still being all used up. So I am stuck on what to do and hopefully someone has a suggestion that will hopefully solve my problem.
Thanx all for the help!!

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Try this program. It may be more compatible with your system...
    Quite a few members here use it and it plays well with most systems...
    CDex
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    Nero and windows XP SP2 don't play well together I've seen this happen a number of times. The sollution that in the end I got working was clean install it's a new driver thing for cdao that nero (and many other cd burning programs) doesn't like.

There could be a better sollution but I was tired of pissing around looking for them. You have to install SP2 before installing Nero.

Check the Nero boards though they may have a fix for it now.