pentium 2.4 only clocking at 1.2

aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys,
I have a gateway laptop, 600yg2 xl, that I bought from a friend of mine. He had all this random crap on it, so I reformatted and installed everything fresh. Only problem now is that on system properties screen, shows a pentium 4 - mobile 2.4ghz, yet only clocked at 1.2. I ran wcpuid, still only at 1.2.
any help? Thanks

Comments

• yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    aZnWanksta wrote:
    Hey guys,
    I have a gateway laptop, 600yg2 xl, that I bought from a friend of mine. He had all this random crap on it, so I reformatted and installed everything fresh. Only problem now is that on system properties screen, shows a pentium 4 - mobile 2.4ghz, yet only clocked at 1.2. I ran wcpuid, still only at 1.2.
    any help? Thanks

If you havn't tried already I would go into the bios and change the setting in there and restart and if it doesn't work repeat this again and it should be back to normal after that. If this isn't the problem or fix then you've got a harder question there.
  • aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited May 2005
    k, in the bios, I can not even access the processor. It just says type, speed, and cache ram. None of these are accessible to change any settings. Another interesting fact, while running wcpuid, when I open or close internet explorer, it will jump to 2.4ghz but then fall back to 1.2 immediately. Weird...
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    Maybe something is set to scale the cpu down for overheating or something?

Again, this probably is in the bios, and since this is a laptop it very likely is running slow to conserve power. This would explain why you suddenly see it jump to speed, as it is waiting and ready for when it needs to.

I personally would not know how to solve this problem if you really want it running full speed all the time. I don't own a laptop.
  • edited May 2005
    aZnWanksta wrote:
    Hey guys,
    any help? Thanks

One question. When you check the cpu do you run the portable on batt or on ac. Almost all the portables when running on batt everything gets clocked down so that it saves batt.
  • aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited May 2005
    k, figured it out. when idle or running programs not processer intensive, it runs at 1.2.

However, when running half-life or playing videos, it stays at 2.4. I am guessing it is because of the mobile properties. When comparing mine to my gf's laptop, a dell inspiron 5100 with a 2.4 p4, non mobile, her's stays clocked at 2.4 all the time. So basically lower clock for power conservation, all out when you need it.

Also, does same thing either on ac or battery. Thanks guys
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    whenever im on a lapper or preparing one for a client and the lapper has mobile options, i install this.

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

this app is very easy to configure, i think it will solve your problem.