Stacked HDs

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I am putting together my new rig...I have 3 HD's...

Is there anything wrong w/ placing them one on the other in the case...i mean in their own slots but stacked...Heat?...any thing?

Bud

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    No probs that I am aware of. ;)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Been doing it for years. I've got three right on top of each other right now. They haven't had any problems.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    hmm i would avoid doing that myself, i mean, if u can make a little space between each it would be better.

or if you gonna stack them on top of each other, i would place a fan at least for some airflow.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Well, the drive holder allows about a centimeter of space between each HDD, so I have no worries there. Also, a fan IS a good idea. I've done it with and without a fan and had no issues either way.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited May 2005
    thx all
  • verselloversello New
    edited May 2005
    Like Citrix mentioned, you'll want to get as much space in there as possible, and with a fan if you're running 7200+ rpm drives in close proximity.

Heat is the biggest issue, and you may want to take into account about ambient temperatures... in my room, it gets pretty damn hot.
  • Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited May 2005
    I have my HD's stacked but I use hard drive fans to cool em.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited May 2005
    well there is a shimmy of room between 2 of the WD's and the Sam is hanging upside down so a little more there...but about the only thing i can do is put my FDD between them...