What is faster (ram question)

Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
edited May 2005 in Hardware
As you can see below (my system specs) I have 1 gig of ram. It is hyper x. What is overall faster/better The 1 gig I have now or the 1 gig I have now and another gig of kingston VALUE RAM added to it?

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Ram is like a chain, it is only as strong as the weakest link.

AKA.... your system will only run as fast as the slowest ram will allow it to.

Hope that helps.;)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    True the ram will be slower but having double the ram will help for some applications. If this is a gaming rig I wouldn't bother if you are doing graphic work then you should see a greater benefit over the increased ram even if it's running slower.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    the diff between value ram and performance stuff like hyper X are the chips on the memory module. They are rated to handle tighter timings than others, also at lower voltages.

how do i know what timings im running at?
    http://www.cpuid.com download the cpu-Z utility and click on the SPD or Memory tab.

how do i bench my ram bandwidth?

download sandra 2005 and run the memory bandwidth test.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=177
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    True the ram will be slower but having double the ram will help for some applications. If this is a gaming rig I wouldn't bother if you are doing graphic work then you should see a greater benefit over the increased ram even if it's running slower.

True true, good point! :thumbsup:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Correct on the value ram being slower and the pc will only run as fast as the slower ram.
    That said you'll actually slow your pc down to the timings of the slower ram. So, Don't add it to the system with 1G of HyperX. Add it to you second system and boost that up to a Gig.
    I don't think there's anyone on this entire site that can show me a difference using 1G ram to 2G of ram. Unless your into Extreme Graghics Editing (rendering) or are doing math calculations for a college, or some such ram intensive use, you'll never be able to tell any difference.
    I'll back down on that claim if anyone can show me that you need 2G for what your doing on your pc and it makes a proveable difference.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    Hawk wrote:
    Correct on the value ram being slower and the pc will only run as fast as the slower ram.
    That said you'll actually slow your pc down to the timings of the slower ram. So, Don't add it to the system with 1G of HyperX. Add it to you second system and boost that up to a Gig.
    I don't think there's anyone on this entire site that can show me a difference using 1G ram to 2G of ram. Unless your into Extreme Graghics Editing (rendering) or are doing math calculations for a college, or some such ram intensive use, you'll never be able to tell any difference.
    I'll back down on that claim if anyone can show me that you need 2G for what your doing on your pc and it makes a proveable difference.

Any sort of graphical rendering it makes a huge difference as well if you are programming and compiling large programs you will see a difference. Not to mention if you are mastering dvd's the ammount of ram is more important then the speed because no mater how slow the ram it's always faster then accessing the hdd for writes.