SB Live vs Intergrated Sound

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I have an old SB Live Value card i have always used....I now have a new Mobo as listed...should i put the old sound card in or is the onboard just as good?

TIA

Bud

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2005
    If the onboard sound is just AC97 audio I'd stick with your soundblaster.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited May 2005
    This is what it says:

Audio Subsystem With external high quality 5.1-Channel AC'97 Codec

Complete software driver supports for Windows OS

What do you think?

Bud
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Most of today's onboard sound setups are really nice. You won't be disappointed if you use it, however I know nothing about SB live value cards.
    edited May 2005
    Think i may just let the Onboard do its thing...not gaming much anymore....use my X for that...if i run into probs may change my mind later....

If anyone else has anything to say bout this...just give a shout...not made up my mind yet...
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited May 2005
    I had the same choice when I rebuilt my system, on board or my SB Live. I went with on board and have had no problems. All my mp3s sound the same (to me anyway), and I don't have any problems even when playing games. I just figured that there'd be less conflict potential with on board sound.
    edited May 2005
    Well....considering i am having to send my board back....lol...i have more time to ponder...
  • verselloversello New
    edited May 2005
    Try listening to both. Less cards, the better IMO, unless the onboard sounds really bad.
    edited May 2005
    Imo?
  • verselloversello New
    edited May 2005
    internet lingo

"in my opinion"
    edited May 2005
    duh...brain fart
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I'm sure you'll find the newer onboard sound will be better than an old SB Live Value card.
    Not to mention you won't have the hassle of SB drivers screwing up your system.
    Which many times that happens. I've had it screw up multiple systems of mine putting in the sound blaster software & drivers. You have to tweak the crap out of them (sometimes, not always) to get them to play well with other programs & the OS.
    That said, You can try out both for comparison, but don't say I didn't warn you when you have to reformat.
    edited May 2005
    Sticking to OB once i get a board that is solid....grrrr
  • edited June 2005
    I agree with Hawk! besides, your SB card seems to be in the same boat as your onboard audio (that is 5.1 surround channel). I think they aren't different, only more hassle installing the card, drivers, taking up space etc.. (as Hawk mentioned)
  • edited June 2005
    If you listen to music and have a decent set of speakers consider buying a newer sound card. The differences between an SB Live!, the onboard sound on my board (MSI k8N Neo Plat) and the Audigy 2 ZS are really noticable when it comes to sound clarity, power and CPU usage.

Loving this Audigy 2, after all the bad things Creative did with support and drivers I was ready to try someone else but couldnt be happier with the card and what I paid for it.
    edited June 2005
    I would love to upgrade to a AG2 but just not in the cards right now....

Going to stick to the OB as soon as i get my MB in....Just sent it out today...suppose to fedex it back...so will be back up sometime this week...

TIA

Bud
  • JLamyJLamy UK
    edited August 2005
    Would any seperate PCI sound card be better at minimising electrical interference with the outputted ananlogue audio signal compared to on-board chips? I ask this cos whenever I plug my headphones in the on-board sound card socket, I get a constant hiss even with MIC and line in muted, and on top of that I get clicks and pops which occur whenever there is hard disk activity. MOST ANNOYING. Am looking at the SB Audigy 2 ZS OEM card, if it will help my listening pleasure thru headphones.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    JLamy wrote:
    Would any seperate PCI sound card be better at minimising electrical interference with the outputted ananlogue audio signal compared to on-board chips? I ask this cos whenever I plug my headphones in the on-board sound card socket, I get a constant hiss even with MIC and line in muted, and on top of that I get clicks and pops which occur whenever there is hard disk activity. MOST ANNOYING. Am looking at the SB Audigy 2 ZS OEM card, if it will help my listening pleasure thru headphones.
    What kind of mobo do you have?
  • JLamyJLamy UK
    edited August 2005
    Zuntar wrote:
    What kind of mobo do you have?
    Abit NF7-S v2.0 - got a Nvidia Soundstorm thing with codec manufacturer and model Realtek/ALC650
  • edited August 2005
    I've heard nothing but good about the soundstorms, lots of people think a lot of em. I do remember lots of onboard sound chips playing me sounds I really didnt need to hear though...
  • edited August 2005
    agree totally! i haf an sblive value on ma desktop. the board has nforce soundstorm audio but sblive value just beats the hands down on quality!! i still swear by its quality!
  • edited September 2005
    Put simply, if the onboard is AC 97', ANYTHING AT ALL will be better in quality, CPU usage, features, support for API's. The only thing it might beat some cards in is ease of use. (usually comes as part of the MoBo drivers)

Newer onboard solutions will sound okay, especially the Via Envy chips and such. But if you want to maximise your CPU and score an extra 5-10 fps (especially when using EAX and the like) or for that matter (depending on your onboard) be able to use EAX at all, you really can't go past a dedicated soundcard.

A good one will last you a lifetime. (I'm still using my MUSE XL for gaming, in my main machine.)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    My intergrated is based off the AC97 Codec, 24bit(Sure acts like it.) 192,000khz, 33 channels, configurable in/out for six channel, S/pif, all thoes bells and whistles. But I still use my SB Live 24bit. My intergrated is disabled, so I don't waste the address for it. My PS/2 ports are also off. I don't use them. USB keyboard+Nostromo for my hotkeys, logictec generic optical mouse. I've got 10 USB ports, only 4 are even on. And I'm only using 3. I guess I spend too much time modding crap that's not for PC, making it for PC.