A Soldier in Need (Upgrading old comp)

XanthouSXanthouS Appleton, WI
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I've just returned from six months of Army training and am completely out of the loop when it comes to computer hardware. Three summers ago I ordered and built my own gaming rig (top of the line at the time) and now I'd like to upgrade mine before I leave for my duty station (and eventually the Middle East).

Before I go too far, I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move it to a more appropriate forum if need be.

I'll start off by listing my rig's current specs:

ATI Radeon 8500+ All-In-Wonder video card
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Soyo Dragon Ultra KT333 Mobo
512MB stick of PC2100 RAM (don't remember manufacturer)
Antec 480w power supply
Western Digital 120GB HDD

I'd like a rig that runs Doom III great and will be able to handle the FPS's coming out in the next year or so. It doesn't need to be top of the line, I'm looking for 'bang for my buck'. I'd imagine I'll need a new mobo, processor, vid card and atleast another 512MB stick of RAM.

Money isn't a HUGE obsticle, but like I said I don't need the best gaming PC in the world, but something that will last me atleast a few years and something that will run today's great FPS's well.

I also plan on ordering all of my parts from www.newegg.com , as I have always ordered from them and have always been happy with my purchases. Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

Comments