Motherboard Back from RMA

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Yep, a day later than mentioned last week, my mistake on the day numbers of May.

Anyway, ASUS SUCKS, YET AGAIN! I've been finiking with this s*it piece of board for hours and can't get it to post. 4th board I think I can call DEAD.

What the heck is wrong?!?!?!

To remind you, it's a P4C800E-Deluxe, supposedly the best/most featurich socket 478 board. I would also like to mention my video card is Asus brand and it hasn't worked in any other computer (2 tried) other than this one, so I won't be making that mistake again. The Corsair Platinum memory hasn't let me down yet, and I have 2 sticks to mix and match and no luck. I don't know what to do, and I don't know why my Asus boards never work, is there some hardware incompatibility thing going on? Or does Asus just suck? I really don't want to RmA again, it takes a lot of my time, cost an ever increasing charge to me, and will take another month to get it back, and will cost another long distance phone call.

:MAD: :MAD: :MAD!: :FURIUS: ...:suicid...just kidding!: :fu: Asus!

Comments

• Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited June 2005
    maybe you suck with handling the boards?

oh god it's never that, it's always the company who has bad boards
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2005
    maybe you suck with handling the boards?

oh god it's never that, it's always the company who has bad boards

Well what I am confused about is that most everyone says Asus is one of the best motherboard manufacturers out there, and I've had nothing but trouble, consistantly with this board model. I seriously think either motherboards are the most finicky of computer hardware devices and/or some of my other hardware doesn't get along with it.

Oh, and head to Short-Media to find that no one has shorted out their hardware from static electricity... :p
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2005
    I think you are just cursed I've never had an asus board die on me. Are you sure you aren't grounding it out somewhere or installing something wrong? Have you tried just giving it power and having it sit on a desk and not in the case?
  • edited June 2005
    well i had 7 asus mobos until now and only one my previous had a problem which they changed it. i currently have a p4c800 deluxe and its fully loaded and did not have any problems. I carently have 4 hds (2 scsi) a dvdrw a cdrw 512mb ram gfx etc.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2005
    Have you tried a different video card in it?
    edited June 2005
    yes to all... :frown:
  • Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited June 2005
    Did you Quote
    "1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
    2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. .DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can acually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
    3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
    4) Install the RAM (only install 1 stick for SDRAM, 2 for RDRAM)
    5) Install the video card
    6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
    7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard.
    8) Connect power to the power supply
    9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
    10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display."
    edited June 2005
    that - psu removal = I am teh cursed!

...there is a tyan p4 board, it's pricy at $199, but i could get it from zzf, any opinions?
  • edited June 2005
    ABIT IS7-E2 great board lots of overclocking features and only 70 bucks its what im running rite now in my sis and it works great
    edited June 2005
    Okay, I plugged in some head phones to the onboard audio jack, the first time I ever plugged anything into the jack since I had an add on card and my speakers require 3 jacks, and guess what? It is saying "Fail CPU test" over and over. Maybe Intel is to blame for all this trouble? I so dearly hope I remember correctly that Intel gives 3 year warranties. This would be such a relief if a new cpu would fix this! Firstly, it's cheaper to send back, and a hell of a lot quicker. Second, I will trust Asus again. Thirdly, I could sell the cpu as new retail sealed (it's only <$10 than what I paid for it 2 years ago (I paid $260) (cpu advancements suck)) at online stores and upgrade that baby to the 3.4 northwood and have it maxed out... Prescotts DON'T COUNT!

So, about the cpu, any ideas on what caused the problem? I think it still could work, just not reliably, as it has worked on 2 different boards successfully for a while atleast. Could static electricity cause it? Could placing it on anti static (the tinted crinkly kind, not the black webbing kind) cause a problem? Could over clocking it or over voltage cause it, not taking into consideration heat, as that was never an issue. Could running it 100% all the time be to blame? If any of these are potential problems how likely is it to happen, for instance, how likely is it that someone would fry their cpu with static and would have I had to touch the pins?
    edited June 2005
    Question:

3.4 P4C Northwoods, Does anyone have any clue where these things went? I can't find them anywhere, preferably retail.
  • edited June 2005
    take your manual and check where there are pins for connecting the extra audio jacks. There it should have a jumper if not using them. if that jumper is not there and not having anything then it will create various problems.