bios resetting??

edited September 2005 in Hardware
alright man. with my bios i can tweak the clocking for my cpu. like i dont know the exact reason but i have to underclock my cpu to 2.8 ghz in order to have a stable system. if its over that then after i log onto windows the moniter shuts off and i have no response from my computer. but sometimes i restart the computer and my cpu is read at 3.2ghz which is the oem speed. whats going on? how come its resetting? yes i save the settings for the bios. its very aggrivating.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2005
    Could be that when you are setting the clock speed to 3.2 you aren't setting up the multipliers correctly and even though the speed is right the rest of the timing on the board is off.
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited June 2005
    Unless of course the cmos battery is bad causing the bios settings not to save itself. Try replacing the cmos battery.

The fact that you have to underclock your cpu to run it stable indicates either:

A) Not enough vcore ( voltage to cpu)
    B ) The board itself undervolts the cpu
    c) Weak psu ( doesn't supply enough vcore)
    d) Overheating cpu

We'll need a more detailed description of the motherboard, psu and cpu specs in order to nail down the problem causing it.
  • edited June 2005
    motherboard is an Epox ep4plai. psu is an Aspire 500W. cpu is an Intel pentium 4 with HT @ 3.2ghz. Vcore reading is at 1.344V. the battery is pretty new. the mobo isnt old. kryyst could u tell me more about the multiplyers and timing?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2005
    You should have a manual that came with your mobo that will tell you what multipliers and voltages you should use for your CPU, Front side bus and ram.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    It sounds like an 200x4 Prescott. 200x16.