Running more than 4 IDEs

edited June 2005 in Hardware
hi,

I'm running 2X HD-Drives and 2X Optical Drives on my PC, the mainboard is an EPOX-8RDA3+ [http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=230]

I would like to add two more IDE Disks that i already have. Is there a way of getting around to this without taking off my Optical Drives or getting a PCI IDE controller?

cheers...

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Where are the 4 Drives hooked up.
    That board will take 4 HD's on the IDE -2 on a double IDE cable,+ 2 on a double IDE cable.
    Then you have 2 SATA connectors that will take one HD each that are SATA.
    That makes six HD's you can put on that board.
    If you don't have SATA HD's, you can get 2 HighPoint RocketHead 100 serial ATA adaptors for standard IDE HD's and adapt them over to use on SATA connections. I've got two in my pc supplys I believe, if you want to work out a deal. They're not expensive at all. Here's a link where the adaptors are reviewed HighPoint RocketHead 100 serial ATA adaptor review. And they will work with your Silicon Image Sil-3112A controller on that MB.
    It shows some nice pics of the adaptors hooked up. And gives test results on performance increase of SATA over IDE.
  • edited June 2005
    Thanks Hawk! great advice *thumbs up*!!! so serial to ide adapter might be the best choice for me... i'm actually from new zealand so i can't really afford to buy stuff from overseas at this stage due to delivery costs :( , cheers :)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Ahh, OK, Didn't look at your profile to see where you were from. Sorry.
    But , yes if your not using your SATA connectors on the MB and you don't have SATA drives with the connectors built into them. You can use the adaptors on that MB. They will work with that peticular onboard controller.
    Hope you can find the adaptors over there.
    And your welcome for the info. Glad I could help.
    P.S. Welcome to the site manuleka, always glad to see new members.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    manuleka, Here's another type of adapter they make also. Thought you'd be interested in seeing it. This one actually has a small chip board in it with leds to show it 's working.
    A newer version of SATA adaptor. Serial-ATA to ATA/ATAPI IDE Interface Adapter
  • edited June 2005
    again, thanks hawk... its amazing how cheap things are in the US compared to here in New Zealand :( ... here i can get a "Serial ATA IDE adaptor" for around $60 NZ dollars :(
    price suck big time around here... so i'm getting a PCI IDE controller card for $30 :| instead!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Wow, Prices are different there! Well, I'm glad you can at least get the PCI IDE card for that anyway.