As of a few hours ago, I have 2.4 celery sticks folding for me!

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
Hopefully this will stay on closer to 24/7 than others I don't own. I have configured the NEW pc myself and deleted about half the items that started up in the task manager. It originally started with about 49 and now I got it down to 24 with folding going! I can only hope other people don't rot the celery away.

My 241 point tinker got 2% done within half an hour-50 minutes or so, but this was before it left my expert tuning hands. It only has 256mb memory so I hope memory won't slow it down. I am not one to believe cheap folding machines need 512 or 1 gig amounts of memory, I think 64 would be enough, unless it is forsure known that low memory does slow the folding down. Someone has to proove that to me though.

:fold::fold::):fold::fold:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    256 is fine as long as you make sure to turn large WU's OFF.... If you want to fold large WU's you're gonna need at least 512, preferably a meg. I had a large WU the other day taking up 208mb of ram alone.... Combine that with 130mb for OS overhead, 20mb for mozilla, 85mb for photoshop, 40mb for DIMES client, etc, you get the idea.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2005
    256 is fine as long as you make sure to turn large WU's OFF.... If you want to fold large WU's you're gonna need at least 512, preferably a meg. I had a large WU the other day taking up 208mb of ram alone.... Combine that with 130mb for OS overhead, 20mb for mozilla, 85mb for photoshop, 40mb for DIMES client, etc, you get the idea.
    Well, does it actually slow the folding client down a lot if you start getting low on memory, or would it just take a little away from it and whatever you are working on (which I ... or actually other people can live with)

Note that I have Windows XP running on a Pentium 3 with 64mb sd100 ram and run folding and don't notice any slow downs. It just never finishes a WU because the computer is turned on and off 30+ times a day. :rolleyes:
    edited June 2005
    Comparing to my duron 1.3 now which is at step 245 of 400 the celery sticks should be up to step 452 + about a couple hours head start. But of course it isn't done because of the following reasons: It's Intel, It's a Celeron Intel, It's not my computer, and it's getting loaded with over half a dozen Runescape cheats/autoers.
    edited July 2005
    The system stinks for folding, because of the damned stuff loaded in the system. It only may get a wu done every once and a while. It got a fair distance on the 241 tinker but then restarted for some reason, and didn't send results or claim to have an error.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    :(