Athlon Mobile 35 watt cooling

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I am thinking of getting one of these cpus and need a heatsink for it. I have a Thermaltake Silent Boost on my duron 1.3ghz and I know that the duron uses I think 60watts or so. I run the fan at about the lowest setting possible, possibly less than 1000rpms and it keeps the duron cool enough (never checked actual temps though) and it sits in a thick steel case with no case fans and a very slow enermax silent psu. I am wondering if you think I could run a 35w mobile amd cpu with no fan at all and if I could what heatsink should I use? I looked at that thermal take no fan heatsink and although aluminum, it is like 700 grams and that is by far way to heavy for me to trust. The silent boost is fairly small, and ideally I'd want a little bit bigger aluminum heatsink, but I am not sure what to get.

So, fan required for 35w cpu? And any heatsink recommendations?

Comments

• SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited June 2005
    i would suggest either the SI-97 by Thermalright or maybe a zalman 7000. the TT sonic tower would be the best HS to get for it but it does weigh quite a bit. i would reccomend getting any of these becuase they all perform very well. if you get the SI-97 just be sure to pair it up with a quiet fan, likewise with the sonic tower. fanless might work with the sonic tower, but why have it fanless when there are plenty of very quiet 120mm fans?
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2005
    Do you think the si97 is better than TT's SilentBoost in performance?
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited June 2005
    overall, the si-97 is better. but the silent boost would work fine for what you need it for. the silent boost is still a good cooler. it is more than adaqute for cooling a mobile processor at stock speeds or even OCed speeds. so i would suggest if you're tight on money just keep the TT :)
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2005
    One more idea, the XP90 (I think) is the aluminum version of the SI97 with fins the whole way. If I were to attempt to cool this cpu with out a fan (I'm gonna try!) Would I want the XP90 with the fins close and more surface area, or would I want the si97 with the fins apart so that the heat would eradiate farther away from the cpu? I would guess the XP 90 would be better, but am not entirely sure.
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited July 2005
    srry for the late respose.

the xp-90 isn't an AXP heatsink. otherwise the xp90 would be a great choice.