Harddrive Failed - NEED Data!!!

NeoFXNeoFX Utah, US of A
edited July 2005 in Hardware
So I decided to run Windows Update a couple days ago before reformatting (as some of you know... BF2 has failed to work thus yet, so I've been trying things!) ... anyway - I updated it and when I restarted my computer, the logon screen never showed up and it just hung... then restarted over and over and over again. I tried repairing it and recovering it and whatnot but it would not work. I kept getting memory dumps and errors that said something on the disk is damaged so I tried to format my 250Gb Sata drive that I got last summer and never touched, but unfortunately for me, it was DOA so now I've gotta take that back and get it replaced before I can do a fresh format of Windows again.

For now, I've installed my old copy of XP Home on a small 20Gb drive, but I don't have enough room to back up My Documents, which I need EXTREMELY bad... another thing that is unfortunate is that I cannot access my login profile from this drive... I am able to go through the whole harddrive except for the My Docs on my original profile. It gives an Access Denied error, but I am not asked for a password or anything so I'm very confused as to what I need to do to access this data and save it somewhere else before I have to wipe out that drive and start over.

Please, I really need to get these files back asap! Thanks!

Comments

• NeoFXNeoFX Utah, US of A
    edited July 2005
    K - Safe mode and some permission/ownership changes helped me out, =D Thanks to the guru3d forums =P