Abit KV7 Overheating

youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
edited July 2005 in Hardware
i have this Abit KV7 and i'm looking at the temperature readings, it seems when i do anything on the comp, like playing music, the "PWM" temp shot up 10 Cel. it's hovering now b/w 59 and 60 degrees C. the comps been giving me issues like "skipping" ( i don't know what else to call it) i can play music and the music will skip along with the the entire pc. it's almost like a missfiring engine in a car. it doesn't happen all the time just after it's been on for a while and i get to multi tasking. i don't know what PWM is but my cpu temp seems to be affected by it, it went up when the PWM did cpu temp is at 50.5 ( all these temps are in celcius)

i've got and installed all new drivers even 4in1, haven't done a bios update yet but i wanted to see what u guys thought

any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is a powerful technique for controlling analog circuits with a processor's digital outputs.
    PWM is employed in a wide variety of applications, ranging from measurement and communications to power control and conversion.
    It's used in hardware controllers on motherboards too.
    I would first check your power supply voltages. (what each voltage is and are they staying pretty steady) when the problem occurs.
    I use Winbond Hardware Doctor 2.0 to monitor my Abit system and I really like it.
    It's actually for Intel systems or so they say on the site, but it works on my Abit NF7 system.
    It monitors your cpu & mobo temps, fan speeds, and ALL your voltages.
    You can set alarms to go off if any go too high or low.
    My Abit-NF7 system is running 50-52C= (122-126F) on CPU and 32-33C= (90-91F) on Mobo while multitasking. Music, 5 pages- internet, Folding, AVG, Spybot S&D resident, Java games running, MSN mess, and Incredimail on.
    Anyway, Check your voltages while trying to reproduce the problem.
    I'd also run Memtest 86+ to be sure your memory is not a problem.
    That's a start. I'll keep looking for probable causes for you and check back.
    A bios update may help, but I wouldn't do that until you've exhausted all other ideas.
  • youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited July 2005
    thx, hawk

well i got an update, i changed out the ATI 9250 i had in there with a Geforce 5500, while i was doing that i noticed that the chipset fan had stopped working, i replaced that as well (on a side note, i've noticed that abit chipset fans are cheap crap, i've had 3 out of 4 go out that i've bought) i also added an 80mm fan to the front of the case to get better air flow. tested the comp out all day thursday and no problems.

but i have noticed that, with the help of Abit EQ, the CPU fan will sometimes run a full 1000 rpm's slower than usual, one boot it's at 2700-2800 rpms then another boot it's at 1850 rpms. could this be a power supply, we also had a bad lightning strike a week and a half ago that fried 3 whole comps so i wouldn't be surprised.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    On that note, I'd definitely check all the voltages.
    [we also had a bad lightning strike a week and a half ago that fried 3 whole comps so i wouldn't be surprised.]<<<<<<<< That's why I have power backup with built in surge protection and voltage regulation on all systems. It may cost a little initially, but it's well worth it just for that reason.