I don't know what to do :(

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys, was reading up on some of the BIOS mods but can't figure out what to do.

I'm building my first 64-bit machine, I don't have a lot of money so I can really only buy what's cheap to say the least. I hope it didn't bit me in the ass here.

Here goes...

I bought an "ECS K8M800-M2" board for an Athlon 64 3400+, I know this chip should be running at 2.2Ghz but the board is only showing 1.4Ghz. There are no settings in the BIOS to change ANY of the CPU's voltages, multiplier...etc nor are there jumpers on the board itself.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, I just completed the latest BIOS update (1.0f) to no avail. I'm hoping some type of BIOS mod. might do something. I tried messing with ModBios 6 but didn't get very far. I kept getting "Bin checksum failed" or something of that sort.

This whole situation is a let-down as I paid a bundle for this chip. Are there any suggestions or any type of modding that could be done?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2005
    Well, that takes me to what I bought. I've been here many times...
    Mr.Rogers wrote:
    Hey guys, was reading up on some of the BIOS mods but can't figure out what to do.

I'm building my first 64-bit machine, I don't have a lot of money so I can really only buy what's cheap to say the least. I hope it didn't bit me in the ass here.

Here goes...

I bought an "ECS K8M800-M2" board for an Athlon 64 3400+, I know this chip should be running at 2.2Ghz but the board is only showing 1.4Ghz. There are no settings in the BIOS to change ANY of the CPU's voltages, multiplier...etc nor are there jumpers on the board itself.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, I just completed the latest BIOS update (1.0f) to no avail. I'm hoping some type of BIOS mod. might do something. I tried messing with ModBios 6 but didn't get very far. I kept getting "Bin checksum failed" or something of that sort.

This whole situation is a let-down as I paid a bundle for this chip. Are there any suggestions or any type of modding that could be done?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I assume you read the manual while setting up the mobo. let me ask a couple questions...
    Did you set the JP3 Bios Protect jumper to pins 1-2 to disable the bios protect before you did the bios update?
    When you finished updating it did you shut down unplug power and move the jumper back to pins 2-3 to keep the newly installed bios from being overwritten before restarting?
    Did you try loading Optimized Defaults?
    An the host clock will change your front side bus to run with the proper cpu...... That may allow your cpu to run at it's full potential.
    [CPU Clock]......What's this set at?
    Use the CPU Host Clock to set the frontside bus frequency for the installed processor.... (Min 200 MHz, Max 232 MHz).
  • ChemicalChildChemicalChild Canada
    edited September 2005
    Is there anyway you could return the board?, ECS is not the most reliable of brands though cheap, if you could return the board look @ getting an Asus, MSI, DFI they considered to be better, probably not the suggestion you wanted to hear but just my 2 cents.
  • Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited September 2005
    Yep, get a better board, overclocking isn't only about the cpu you buy, it's about your motherboard, ram, hard drives, etc. All these components need to be quality if you plan to overclock. Don't get ECS. For AMD64 DFI would be one of the better choices - the mobo I have, so far there have been no problems.