My dvd burner choice, good and bad comments

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I got a sony dru-800a DL burner. Any comments good and bad about this drive or sony or what I should have gotten or what I should be glad I avoided? All comments welcomed!!! I hear sony has compatibility issues, I want to know everyone's opinions about all of this.

And if anyone felt ambitious to research a little, or already have, can you tell me the difference between the dru-720 and the dru-800a models? They look identical to me except online the 720 is $20 cheaper and at the store there were no 720s, of course I only checked BestBuy because every place closes at 9 and I need it tomorrow and BestBuy.com said they had the 720s for $99.99 (-30), man did I speed down the freeway to get there in time, for some reason everyone felt like driving 80 during rush hour and tonight they felt like driving well under the speed limit at 55ish and slightly lower. I pwned teh freeway, and since the gov. shut down no one has proof I sped because all the freeway cameras got turned off ha!

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Seems like a nice burner. Did you know Sony has been using LiteON OEM DVD burners and the latest LiteON SOHW-1693S is behind the new Sony burner, branded the DRU-800A.
    I like & use Lite on burners myself.
    The only thing I see is the BUFFER MEMORY is 2MB on it. I would prefer an 8MB buffer, which niether has. And the 8MB buffer recorders are more expensive too.
    So, Price can be a factor.
    Found both at Sony for $89.99 after mail-in rebate, so your close to that if you add in shipping.
    Only difference i see is the 800 has 130ms seek time and the 720 has 135ms seek time...which I don't think you'll notice the 5ms difference. lol
    Here's both.......Great prices....
    DRU-800A
    DRU-720A
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited July 2005
    whats wrong with this burner? its a sony, 16x, dual layer, only difference is that it's OEM and $50. my friend got the black version of this drive and is very happy with it.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Looks like a good one to me. :thumbsup:
    I'll probably be geting one like it (in black of course), as soon as I can afford it.
    Also, My bad on the *MB buffer thing. I was living in the past. lol
    As I understand it now, the new burners have burn-proof technology, which means it slows down when the buffer is running low until it is full again.
    All recent burn-proof burners are now with only 2 mb of buffers. This way, you get good results and much fewer coasters. So, That's a good thing.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2005
    Nothing wrong with that burner I've had a sony dvd burner for about a year now and never had a problem. The other brand I'd recomend is LG they work excellent and the pricing is usually very good as well.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2005
    great news for me I guess, so is there any real difference between dvd+r and dvd-r? in terms of compatibility/longevity/etc.?

I have used it and am pleased, it's a little slow on reading cds (for direct copying), but that's okay, I have another drive and can fit 3 in my computer. I was copying cds at 52X (I couldn't believe it when I found cds that supported this) and it was still taking like 4 minutes a copy because of the slow read speed. Of course I use by samsung 8mb cache drive for my cd burning, as it has never failed me once in several hundred cds.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2005
    dvd-r is normally more compatible with most dvd players. dvd+r is prefered by panisonic and some sony players IIR.