The computer Gods hate me!!

youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
edited July 2005 in Hardware
ok we had a strike 2 weeks ago at my office,
it fried: 3 whole comps out of 9, a Samsung 19" crt (was brand new), a 24 port hub, 9 network cards, 4 office phones, the network device on our copier, and my brain!!!

anywho, the short of it is that i'm installing windows on one of the rebuilt comps and as it enters the actual windows installation after the setup files have been copied to the HD i keep getting "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or "NTFS.sys" on a blue screen, now keep in mind the parts that aren't new are the RAM, one IDE cable, DVD-rom, and Power supply. i've tested each in other machines and they worked fine. (i didn't do extensive testing, since i was in a rush to order parts, like 3dmark03 or anything)

i've replaced the IDE cable and RAM so far, and it just did it agian so i'm going to replace the dvd rom now.

it's not overheating the cpu, it's running a cool 27 degrees C

well here i go...update later

Comments

• youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited July 2005
    MOTHER F@*KING PIECE CRAP!!!!

this thing is really getting under my skin, ok still doesn't work. same thing happened but i don't think it's the power supply cause it does it at the same point in the installation. i don't think it could be the HD, 1) cause it's new 2) it did the same thing on another brand new drive

i guess the only thing i can do now is disable all onboard stuff take out the wireless network card, then try it again.

if any of you have even the slightest idea please post, i'm at the end of my rope here.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Well, I would think it's a hardware problem. All mine were when I got that error.
    First, I would run Memtest to be sure the memory is good, being you had lightning strikes. Then check your CPU temp in the bios after running memtest, that's a true temp.
    Next; Shut down, reset Cmos-- (pull battery, move reset jumper over for 1 min, then put jumper back, then battery) Start her up-- and in the BIOS, load Fail-Safe defaults, disable the onboard modem, sound, and LAN. Take out all the cards, with the exception of video, and try loading XP. If the machine stays stable, then start adding/re-enabling the devices one by one, after XP's loaded. Keep in mind that modern motherboards share IRQ's across PCI slots, so try not to put a sound card and a modem right next to each other. Sometimes they don't play well there.
    Try those things and see if it helps.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Something else you might try-- In bios, Disable Write Combining, and make sure your SPD is set to (Auto).
    After you get XP installed with service packs you can reset write combing, and set SPD to what you want.
    Do you have the HD and DVD rom on the same cable. If so, The HD has to be master and on the end of IDE cable and DVD rom as Slave in Middle of IDE cable.
    If they are seperate you can have them both as master on their own IDE.
    HD on IDE 1. DVD on IDE 2.
    You probably know this stuff, but it's good to check.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Also, If you have USB keyboard or mouse. Disconnect them and use reg connections for keyboard and mouse. USB can cause this problem. After XP install & service packs you can reconnect USB devices.
    edited July 2005
    ok, new update.

i got the thing to finally install windows, i took out the network card and it did the same thing, but once i disabled the SATA and RAID controller in the bios it worked.

but now i've got a different problem, it gives me random reboots now, usually just cycling through, i'll see the desktop for a sec then it shuts itself off again and boots back and it will do this 3-6 or so times before it lets me into windows for a few minutes then reboots again. i changed the memory 3 times and the third one is brand new. it gives me this error once i do get windows up for a bit:

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : FFBDEF60 BCP2 : 00000001 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : 80505390 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    mem test!!!!!!!!!
    edited July 2005
    it's not memory. it wouldn't make any sense. here's the hardware:

abit kv7-v
    sempron 2400+
    kingston KVR333X64C25/512
    chiantech geforce fx5500 256mb
    WD 80GB 800JB
    still using the old dell power supply(don't think it's that though)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Could be one or all ram slots are bad.
    Try a new stick of ram in 1st slot--restart--see if it starts ok, then check it in slot 2---restart--see if it works, slot 3 etc.
    If you find it works ok in one or two slots, then you know you can use those.
    If it still has the problem in any slot, I'd sure run memtest. If it comes up with errors with new stick in slot 1, you know the ram slot has been damaged and isn't transfering properly. Check all slots same way. If it comes up clear, you know it's not ram or slots.
    Do you have the latest video drivers installed? That can cause those code errors.
    Try re-installing them.
    Have you checked in your Device Manager to see if everything is operating right?
    If there's a problem with anything it will be open and have an exclamation mark in red next to it.
    edited July 2005
    device manager's cool, everything is working (or at least says it does), more and more i think it's memory but i can't imagine the stick i'm using is bad. it runs great in other comps. so i'm going to try what you suggested hawk, maybe it is the slots themselves.

all my geek instinks are telling me it's the board, and bad slots could very well be screwing me.

oh and how do i do or download this memory test? (if i can't get into windows)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    MMnnn, I thought you had other pc's around to DL the memtest.
    If you build and work on your own or others pc's-- these might be a very good addition to your toolbox.... minimal investment for maximum sanity..... Power Supply Tester & PCI Diagnostic Card - Decode POST .
    I know they won't help right now, but for future work.
    I have the power tester now and have sent for the PCI Diagnostic Card.
    I went through alot of what your going through now, (2 power supplies fried and then burned up 2 mobo's, 2 gigs of ram etc....).
    That's when I decided to get the testing tools, because I just about pulled my hair out trying to figure out which parts were bad.
    edited July 2005
    yeah i'm around about 8 other comps but i'm still havin trouble getting that particular one to boot into windows for any extended time, is it a DL that u stick on a floppy then boot off it?

yeah thx for the links i'll surely look into getting them!

that's all for me today, i'm going home, i'll tell the boss too bad.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    yes, You can DL it for floppy boot test....
    Get this one..... Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)
    You'll have to scroll down the page a ways, but you'll see it there....
    edited July 2005
    ok ran the memory test and it passed twice with no flaws, but i was browsing the mobo book while it was running and read about the "Disable Unuse DIMM/PCI Clk:" option (which the book says will disable the clock of any DIMM/PCI slot that is empty) well i figured i'd try it and see what happens. when i got into the bios i couldn't see the option. at first i thought maybe this was for a different version but as i arrowed down to where the option should have been there is a space for it but no letters and when i hit enter on the empty space it brought up the window to allow me to change it but it was blank also. i hope i'm describing this well enough so you know what i mean. the option was there it is just missing text, basically. my question is then is my bios screwed, i'll try a bios update to see if it works.

....i'm [email]F@*ked ...this[/email] board is F@*ked!
    edited July 2005
    here i got a pic
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    On that note, I think I'd try a bios update. Hopefully it will put that option in.
    And may cure the rest of the problem too.
    edited July 2005
    alright, this sux! it won't let me update the bios via booting from a floppy. it's an abit KV7-V, can't i try and update it from windows (assuming i get it to boot to windows)?
    edited July 2005
    hahahaha so the computer Gods have smiled upon this geek! finally, i had to do the bios update twice until it worked. but i finally updated and now all my problems have gone. i haven't had one unwanted restart! thanks everybody for your advice! especially you, hawk, you're a badass!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Hehehe, I was just looking for your mobo manual online, when you posted.... bsod46vu.gif
    That's good to hear (it worked). Good on ya! You stuck with it.
    That's what it takes sometimes......Persistence.....
    I was hoping that if you got through the update, it would cure most problems up.
    Most excellent trip dude ......